• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 3-4 2024 System

There is a huge dry slot in the lower levels that is incredibly dry. It’s almost taken 2.5 goes to moisten the column in Birmingham. Still just a few spits of rain. Really not much cold source with this system to our NW to tap into. Flurries at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad this system didn't come through 12 hours earlier, many of us had more cold to work with last night than now. In my area, despite thick clouds all day, my temp has gone from a low of 24 to 43 currently; way too warm for anything there. My dp is only 30 so there won't be much wetbulbing. Looks like some good low dps still in the mountains; elvation should see some flakage tonight.

I'm thinking, based on the radar, Newnan will report rain/snow/sleet before Woodstock. Also, those returns north of Columbus are very interesting.
Those heavier returns could help juice up the column and drop surface temps quicker across areas it moves through. Similar to what happened around Montgomery vs what has happened in Birmingham. Wish we had some mping reports down in the Auburn/Opelika area right now

Those heavier returns could help juice up the column and drop surface temps quicker across areas it moves through. Similar to what happened around Montgomery vs what has happened in Birmingham. Wish we had some mping reports down in the Auburn/Opelika area right now
There was another mPing report in Columbus of sleet just now.

Appears to be mostly liquid down I-85, according to this link:

MPing sleet report now in Thomaston as that bright band on radar moves in
That makes sense given the sounding. The boundary is pretty warm and sleet is going to make it to the ground as it falls much faster. Also, the DGZ may not be saturated sufficiently. The 935 to 850 mb layer is cooling quickly and likely cold enough to refreeze any rain or snow falling through it.

Back