• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 3-4 2024 System

The latest HRRR runs have become more juicy with the moisture but I still have yet to see any ground truth out of either central Mississippi or Alabama
If the HRRR is correct, you should start to see snow/rain reports out of northern MS in about 30 minutes to an hour.

Im liking the area East of 65 and North of 20 in Alabama this afternoon.
Temps are a bit on lower side for region but that area still needs to main bulk of moisture to slow down some and delay as much as possible to help with Temps in later afternoon and needs to continue juicing up need to add more without too much WAA

I'm near Gadsden, Al. and my temp has steadily increased from 26 at 5 AM to currently 38. No precipitation yet.
Wetbulbs are above freezing in most of North Ala, so not expecting much. Maybe a token flake or two at higher elevations.
I wonder if Noccalula (so?) is high enough in elevation to see anything. I’m in Alabama City at work may drive up there once it starts.

It looks like, to me, and if my trig math is right, that it took an hour to drop from around 3,800 ft to 2,800 ft. So, about 2 more hours it will be at the surface???
Now down to 1000 feet but precip is light. Bhm is now down to 1000 and should reach within the hour..same with mxx.. Looks like there is a band of sleet..at least aloft..in central ga. Based on macons radar its probably reaching the ground. Hrrr continues to get wetter.

Quite a temp bust on the hrrr. Prior runs had temps in the low to mid 40s in Alabama by now..instead its in the mid to upper 30s. Its running about 2 to 5 degrees cooler in ga vs prior runs.been stuck at 45 here for an hour. It had my local getting to 53 last night. Thats not going to happen with thickening clouds and top down cooling.

Back