• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Picked up about .5 inches in Roanoke. We missed the main precip just to our south unfortunately. Although the roads are very very icy.

Most definitely. I was the first to pick up on this and the new version seemed the most consistent. As far as overblown totals go thats a product of the limitations in the algorithms used to convert QPF into snow totals not the actual model itself.
One thing I’d note is that the 1”+ QPF it was putting out for a lot of NC didn’t quite materialize, either. Looks like RDU got 0.69”. You know the drill, overpeform on QPF all year, but when it comes to winter storms, it’s always going to come in drier.

Feel pretty good about 2.5” here, measured around 7, a little higher on the car tops and not to far removed from a 2.75 spotter ob. Picked up 0.25” liquid before changeover around 2, weather station is still stuck on that 0.25, interested to see it go up today as it melts.

998E7CA6-1725-4015-AF9B-85D0811E68BE.jpeg

1BB949DC-8969-4A20-8ACD-80B9E4C8129F.jpeg

d1e571959927d643262bf51664f9c90f.jpg

To show you how much spread there was, this is from my buddy who lives in Reidsville. I thought they would get a lot more than what I saw.

I have a question for some of the experts on here. I live near a small lake, and I swear every storm the area right around the lake gets less snow. Today driving to work (south from Garner) there was signifigantly more snow coverage for a while, and then it began to lessen the further south I went. My yard got partial coverage, but areas a few min south were totally covered and even had some slush on the the roads. When we have storms that are very marginal on temps, is it possible for the lake to hold in some heat in a very localized area that would cut into snow totals? Or is it just random differences in snow totals?

One thing I’d note is that the 1”+ QPF it was putting out for a lot of NC didn’t quite materialize, either. Looks like RDU got 0.69”. You know the drill, overpeform on QPF all year, but when it comes to winter storms, it’s always going to come in drier.
It did WS back this way. unfortunately it was to warm

I have a question for some of the experts on here. I live near a small lake, and I swear every storm the area right around the lake gets less snow. Today driving to work (south from Garner) there was signifigantly more snow coverage for a while, and then it began to lessen the further south I went. My yard got partial coverage, but areas a few min south were totally covered and even had some slush on the the roads. When we have storms that are very marginal on temps, is it possible for the lake to hold in some heat in a very localized area that would cut into snow totals? Or is it just random differences in snow totals?

The water in the lake is warmer and I believe that cuts down on totals near the lake. Places around the Pasquotank River in Pasquotank and Camden Counties (NC) have the same thing occur during snows unless the air temperature is super low and the snowfall is heavy.

Wonder how much snow they got up there. Man..
They said it looked like 4-5, I saw official report of 5.5 in Granville county.... looks like the last minute Warning area actually met warning criteria

They said it looked like 4-5, I saw official report of 5.5 in Granville county.... looks like the last minute Warning area actually met warning criteria

Yeah they only need 3" in 12 hours to meet warning criteria, technically Wake County would have met it, albeit barely thanks to the NE side closest to Franklin, some near 3" reports in/around Zebulon-Wake Forest

Back