• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

You pay attention ANYTIME you get snow bands to reach over 30-35 dbz... granted, the melting is probably giving off this signature rather than intense snowfall rate. These pivoting bands should generate great results for Roxboro-Henderson-Rocky Mount region that I mentioned.

1611820188920.png

You pay attention ANYTIME you get snow bands to reach over 30-35 dbz... granted, the melting is probably giving off this signature rather than intense snowfall rate. These pivoting bands should generate great results for Roxboro-Henderson-Rocky Mount region that I mentioned.

View attachment 68734
Don’t forget wake

Decent snow right now but this looks like the last gasp here. No accumulation anywhere
I don’t think so, it’s still snowing in Greensboro. We should have a few hours of snow, at least. Got a quick dusting on the ground now, huge flakes, putting down nicely. Going to need this to keep up for a while if we want any chance of an inch or two, though...not super encouraged.

Going to take a Jeb Walk, looks real nice out now, if only it would keep up for a while.

Don’t forget wake

I mean... yes... but I was talking about how Roxboro-Henderson-Rocky Mount area should jackpot. They still got 2-3" more left in the tank per HRRR, using positive snow depth change product that's more accurate than 10:1 snowfall.
1611820455652.png

Moderate snow at my house in SW Wilson County. Car tops are covered with a dusting on the ground 33.1 degrees

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

View attachment 68734

I actually think those DBZs are legit. 35 dbz snow generally equates to 1-1.5 inch per hour rates in marginal setups. Models had a period of intense lift for this region around this time due to frontogenetic forcing. That band is the big show of the night and will sweep east/southeast as the storm progresses.

6F447775-B53B-4024-9D14-BDDC04A69554.jpegWOW LOOK AT THIS SNOW SQUALL ... snow is already everywhere .. roofs and car tops white .. grass basically covered and if you look out there’s a white spec of snow everywhere in the air ... I can’t imagine what’s under this band

This first band is RIPPING snow here in northern JoCo... easily some of largest snowflakes I ever seen including my time in New England. Can confidently say this is 1-1.5"/hr rate if the ground was more frozen solid.

I actually think those DBZs are legit. 35 dbz snow generally equates to 1-1.5 inch per hour rates in marginal setups. Models had a period of intense lift for this region around this time due to frontogenetic forcing. That band is the big show of the night and will sweep east/southeast as the storm progresses.
Can confirm it's legit. If this was in New England with frozen ground, I'd say it's ripping snow at 1-1.5"/hr rate. Still think it'll end up 1"/hr rate.

Back