• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Precip beginning to really blossom .. these rates are going to be epic I cannot wait ... and that lightning strike in the mountains already? Thunder snow has to be a possibility ... also any chance we can get one of those shiny HRRR maps for the meat of the show

I tried to tell everyone to temper their enthusiasm even though the models showed high totals. My point about surface temps, soil temps, warm nose, time to changeover to snow, and puddles of water knocking down possible totals was scoffed at by most. Everyone here should have been taking this into account so they wouldn’t be heartbroken. Sorry to say that, but y’all know we ALWAYS find a way to mess these things up.
Congratulations???
1611794034526.png

I tried to tell everyone to temper their enthusiasm even though the models showed high totals. My point about surface temps, soil temps, warm nose, time to changeover to snow, and puddles of water knocking down possible totals was scoffed at by most. Everyone here should have been taking this into account so they wouldn’t be heartbroken. Sorry to say that, but y’all know we ALWAYS find a way to mess these things up.

I mean, you're absolutely right. As much as it sucks, I think we all realize this was never our storm. (For the Carolina's). It sucks. As we have missed so many good opportunities these last few weeks. I still think most of us see a solid event before winter is over. But this isn't it. Although NE NC may actually do okay tonight. Can surprises happen? Absolutely! But as @Myfrotho704_ alluded to I think some thunder is more likely than snow for a lot of us. And if someone does get lucky tonight and see thundersnow with no visibility - take some photos. That sounds epic!

This thing is going to sweep in to Roanoke as soon as it gets cold. Boom.

Attachments

• 39653B36-4593-4297-974D-ED33510FBABF.gif
    39653B36-4593-4297-974D-ED33510FBABF.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I mean, you're absolutely right. As much as it sucks, I think we all realize this was never our storm. (For the Carolina's). It sucks. As we have missed so many good opportunities these last few weeks. I still think most of us see a solid event before winter is over. But this isn't it. Although NE NC may actually do okay tonight. Can surprises happen? Absolutely! But as @Myfrotho704_ alluded to I think some thunder is more likely than snow for a lot of us. And if someone does get lucky tonight and see thundersnow with no visibility - take some photos. That sounds epic!

I mean, I’m in NE NC and I don’t think anything happens here. Might be pretty to look at falling (if it changes) but there isn’t going to be any accumulation due to what I posted above. Sorta used to it by now. LOL. I hope I’m wrong...

Back