• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Greg Fishel posted this on Facebook 30 minutes ago.

SUPPERTIME UPDATE

Still no reason to steer away from my 2-4" forecast, which I adjusted to at 4AM this morning. Snow is spreading eastward across Kentucky, and we still have a long way to go here in the Triangle before snow can even be entertained as a legitimate word in our vocabulary. At 6pm, the RDU airport reported a temperature of 48 with a dew point of 41. That means that if precipitation were to begin falling heavily right now, the coldest we could get would be about 43 or 44. It's still 40 degrees in Washington, D.C. So again, once we start coming under the influence of the strong upper level wave much later this evening, then that vigorous upward motion will begin to produce significant cooling through a deep layer of the atmosphere, and it's then that the word "snow" can not only be entertained, but welcome with open arms! Starting around 10pm this evening, I'll be doing frequent updates, some text, some video and will continue to provide updates until the system pulls away very late tonight. Hope y'all get my drift LOL.

Every run of the HRRR and most other models have a complete crash of the Column at 2 am for Raleigh ... that has always been my benchmark to look at .. if we get a changeover at 2 we can probably expect around 3 .. any earlier is just gravy ... any later is praying on 4 in/hr rates when the changeover occurs ?

This will encourage eveyone. At 5pm it was pc and 49 beech mtn pkwy. Its snowing and ground asphalt ,everything covered up cause of rates right now. So same wx conditions all day as many expierenced and the rain flipped and rates trumped full day solar insulation on asphalt,ground immeaditely.

HRRR has been pretty consistent with the Rocky Mount area winning this thing. Going back to the 12z runs across the board... Rocky Mount, Wiltson, that area to the NE of Raleigh has been the sweet cakes with consistency.

trend-hrrr-2021012723-f012.snowfall_acc.us_ma.gif

Attachments

• Optimized-Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.16.22 PM.jpg
    Optimized-Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.16.22 PM.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 19
Looks like my thoughts about a big nothing burger are going to be realized.

I tried to tell everyone to temper their enthusiasm even though the models showed high totals. My point about surface temps, soil temps, warm nose, time to changeover to snow, and puddles of water knocking down possible totals was scoffed at by most. Everyone here should have been taking this into account so they wouldn’t be heartbroken. Sorry to say that, but y’all know we ALWAYS find a way to mess these things up.

Back