• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

So I’m curious which model was most correct 5-6 days out with this storm? Was it the Euro or GFS? Did either completely whiff on anything?

Here in western Raleigh I ended up with about 0.2-0.3" of scattered sleet accumulation with a glaze of ice on top before temperatures rose above freezing. Almost no snow whatsoever

Hmm a new band has developed on i40 between hickory and Asheville. This could also impact the Charlotte areas since it could rotate inside the current meso band

One thing I noticed this evening is just how much soil and road temperatures have dropped here in the last 2 weeks after that long stretch of warm and humid weather. We managed to spend a couple hours in the 33-34 degree range this afternoon for a couple hours. So a lot of what was on the ground turning slushy, but as soon the temperature went back to 32 and it was dark, all the slush started getting that crunchy sound to it as it was refreezing. Safe to say, no one can say anything about soil temperatures going into whatever might come later this week

Yes there’s a little bit of feeling like I missed something but we’re having a blast. And we were a part of the same storm. And my 4 year old son can always remember the time he got over a foot of snow at a cabin with his dad up in the mountains. We built a snow cave today and we’ll build another tomorrow. What a storm.
This is what it’s all about. Love it! Great memories.

Curious.. did anyone in Middle Georgia around Macon see anything? Radar indicated there may have been some flurries there earlier this afternoon.

Back