• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Checkout how bad the ice maps performed. Just posting 1 but we had over 10 pages of the FRAM ice maps and other models. Yes there was some ice but mostly a light glaze.
6z GFS is futherest east with its inland track through NC, than it has been

zr_acc.us_ma.png

Checkout how bad the ice maps performed. Just posting 1 but we had over 10 pages of the FRAM ice maps and other models. Yes there was some ice but mostly a light glaze.
Yeah these ice maps are always just so overdone, but I really feel like you could see it yesterday by looking at the soundings. The areas that the short range models were putting down the most ice were areas that forecast soundings were keeping predominantly sleet. I still think these models have difficulty distinguishing between sleet and ZR on their surface output

Even though us folks on the eastern/I20 side of Atl live in eternal screw zone, it seems to me that the Euro, NAM, HRRR and GFS all did a solid job of predicting “nothing”….as I type this I realize some may take this as a rant/banter but I’m truly speaking succinctly abt model verification. All of those showed a very sharp cut off w very ltl accumulation and markedly higher totals on N side of Walton Co which based upon Gulf and Monger appeared to verify to a much lesser extent than modeled. Irregardless, it seemed they did better here. Maybe that’s because the bust potential of forecasting 0 is much less than putting accumulations out?. Congrats to everyone who got in on the action today and hopefully Fri pans out. I’m headed for Beech a week from today irregardless so one way or another hopefully will see snow accumulations at some point!!

Back