• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I’ve got a feeling the back edge of this going to really over perform. 850s are already crashing into NE Georgia which is ahead of schedule to my understanding. The ULL definitely looks like it is still moving almost due east
possible; radar returns on wundermap seem to be consolidating for our region at the moment

Two things I’m noticing right now

1. It really is looking like to me that CLT metro and north might be able to avoid a major ice accrual. This sleet is holding strong as they column remains below freezing from 925mb down. By the time soundings are supportive of ZR, the dry slot punches in and precip becomes more scattered light or freezing drizzle..

2. Looking at water vapor and radar, it really seems that the ULL is moving further south than modeled and hasn’t cut NE yet. There’s an old saying that “an Upper low is a weatherman’s woe”. They are hard to predict and we’ve seen some do some crazy things compared to forecast over the years.
Yep - the longer the ULL can keep moving more ENE and take the 850 low with it, the longer we stay sleet. Also, you can see via SPC meso analysis the secondary surface low is trying to form near the coast around Charleston now as well. Hopefully the primary low will transfer soon.

Back