• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I have lived in Gilmer for five years and a couple of takeaways this storm has taught me. If a progged storm is CAD dependent, forget about it. Eastern Gilmer has too many mountains with some over 4,000 feet that keep CAD working its magic here. We flipped to snow briefly at about 5:30am and the dryslot moved in. Temps soared from about 35 to about 43 in one hour or so. It is just now back to around 39.

The mesoscale models picked this Gilmer County anomaly well by the way. I just thought I would overlook it. LOL. Big mistake.

So for the couple of folks in this area, we do better with clippers than most. Miller A's can be rocking. CAD events suck balls.

Freezing rain with 1/10 accretion here. Switched to sleet. Deck getting covered. It was a mix of Fzr, sleet, and snow at times during the night. Snow made it to Northern Laurens County area of Gray Court-accumulation. Winds picking up and I can hear Pines falling. You can smell Pine in the air. Clinton just south of 385/26.

I have lived in Gilmer for five years and a couple of takeaways this storm has taught me. If a progged storm is CAD dependent, forget about it. Eastern Gilmer has too many mountains with some over 4,000 feet that keep CAD working its magic here. We flipped to snow briefly at about 5:30am and the dryslot moved in. Temps soared from about 35 to about 43 in one hour or so. It is just now back to around 39.

The mesoscale models picked this Gilmer County anomaly well by the way. I just thought I would overlook it. LOL. Big mistake.

So for the couple of folks in this area, we do better with clippers than most. Miller A's can be rocking. CAD events suck balls.

This is exactly right. The spine of the tallest mountains is to your east and southeast, so it would have to be a major CAD that extended into Alabama to reach western Gilmer. The backend should drop some now there though.

33.4/32.9 with IP/RN

A friend just texted me and said WYFF4 just said downtown Greenville has only gotten 1-2 inches. Wtf that is 100% wrong

Back