• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Exciting to see SC doing so well. You guys usually have a lot going against you most winters so it’s great to see a lot of you scoring!
I used to live in Chattanooga in the late 2000's; fantastic city and very scenic
the biggest weather difference between Greenville/Upstate SC and Chattanooga metro is CAD (because Chattanooga is west of Apps, CAD there is essentially non-existent); Chattanooga usually scores with clippers and typical SE winter setups (Upstate SC's winter events are almost solely CAD driven); I wanted to buy a home on Signal Mountain - but, due to circumstances beyond my control, eventually moved to Greenville SC (now am transitioning again to Greensboro NC!)

So here’s the concerning thing right now for the eastern part of the CLT metro. Temperatures have already dropped to between 26-29, and dewpoints have held steady in the 21-23 range despite several hours sleet or snow… This NE wind is still tapping into very dry which means that wet bulb cooling is still occurring very efficiently. This is not good with the amount of moisture still to move through. ZR is a self limiting process but it still takes quite a bit of time for latent heating to warm you from the mid 20s to 33, especially when wet bulging is still occurring

Back