• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Was curious how the models where handling CAD for this event here on the southern edge of it so I put together a little chart for CAE to compare to observations using a handfull of global and mesoscale models.

Here are 2 snapshots from what I have down of the 00Z Saturday and 12Z Saturday Model Runs vs. Observations at CAE for 2 points so far (13:00 Saturday and 19:00). Will try and update at the 06Z observation:
00z CAE.png
12z CAE.png

Last edited:
So no change in forecast from earlier today ?
Not sure, it's a snow event in Alabama. Throw everything unexpected in a bag and shake it up and you'll get whatever you land on lol, how it goes for us in the south. imo expect low accumulations, but know they're is a good chance of a boom tommorow. Snow events have a way of pulling a hat trick or two on you.

Zanderd98al please keep posting those maps. I cant find under the tabs on spc page

Not sure, it's a snow event in Alabama. Throw everything unexpected in a bag and shake it up and you'll get whatever you land on lol, how it goes for us in the south. imo expect low accumulations, but know they're is a good chance of a boom tommorow. Snow events have a way of pulling a hat trick or two on you.

It absolutely is a potential snow event here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that wrf, whew if only.

Allright who's in Seneca or spitting distance to the west. Check your floodlights. You should be 1st outside mtns any moment now per radar
I'm here bro..gonna check in a minute. Got a few reports from walhalla and westminster of some dandruff

Not sure but does seem the slp is a little south of what the HRRR has been showing, which is interesting b/c HRRR has been one of the colder models.... problem not a huge deal as it looks like it's about to make the turn NE. Now if it doesn't all models will have busted horribly and all bets are off lol

Very true. Last big snow in my area (Phenix city Alabama / Columbus Georgia area) was 3-1-2009 and it was because of an ULL.

HRRR has us switching to snow around 12. Let's see what it's got. If it verifies that should be a good signal for upstate and nc.

Well, guess I'll use you guys up there in the northern/northeast suburbs as a benchmark as to whether or not I even sniff a chance at seeing snow flakes with this frontend stuff. If you guys don't see snow in the next 1.5 hours, I'm kissing my chances goodbye.

Back