• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This is when its supose to hook 90 degrees left. Waiting to see myself. Wish it would head to jax then swing a hard left. So close on this one.
Something else I’m noticing and maybe I’m wrong but our high over the NE is still over Ontario. I thought it was supposed to be over Upstate NY by now

From Meteorologist Chris Lisauckis in Huntsville
Good Evening, after reviewing the latest computer model data and applying various meteorological techniques, I see no reason to change the forecast much from earlier. The Tennessee Valley Region of northern Alabama and southern middle Tennessee will be located in an ideal location for very heavy snow between 9am and 3pm Sunday. Whiteout conditions are likely at times over the area and travel problems will likely develop throughout the morning hours. An experimental snow forecasting index I am developing indicates 2-3" per hour snowfall rates are possible, and thundersnow. A fair amount of this snow will likely melt because of above freezing surface temperatures, however I still expect 5-7" across a large part of the area. Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of this forecast, it's not possible to predict locations where these totals are most likely at this time. The Tennessee Valley will be located in the left exit region of the high altitude jet stream portion of the storm system, which may allow temperatures to dynamically cool more than expected at the surface as heavy precipitation continues. Only a few degrees of surface temperature will separate us from getting 5-7" and 8-10" of snow. Things could change with the forecast. Please expect the unexpected.

airT.png
temps rn.png

34/18 wind NNE at 2.

This is so much better than the typical full sun temps climbing to 45 before the winter storm.

I mean the 00Z 3k took me from on the border of RN/ZR in the first hr of precip to now 6 hrs of frozen in one run.....kinda late to latch on to anything changing in earnest but that is pretty big change for 6 hrs.

Went from this with MBY on the rain line

1642302462585.png

To this....and it keeps me frozen for 5 frames versus none at 18Z

1642302435738.png

Back