• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

ANNOUNCEMENT

Guys, the event is underway. We all like to have a good time, but please keep the one liners and pithy comebacks in Whamby. @Storm5 posted a thread yesterday stating if you had to have more than one post deleted, then you would be banned from the thread. That policy is in effect.

People want to talk about the storm, not read things like Bust or Non-event or I never get snow I hate winter snow is stupid drink beer pants annihilated.

I hope everyone gets some wintry weather. We probably have a few more of these to track, coming up over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, we can keep things on track in here. Thanks for the help.

Snow Depth is not a good tool IMO. I've seen it bust WAY too low several times. In 2017 it had Cobb county at 2 inches and some places got over 10. It thinks a warm ground will eat everything.

Kuchera or regular are the way to go
That's good to know, I've wondered how accurate the snow depth is on HRRR. But ground temperature aside, I know locally elevation for precip type is key many times in N. AL, just 300 feet can mean the difference between a dusting and 2 or 3+ inches of snow here, I've observed this many many times.

This is the furthest south the NAM has had below freezing 850's in Georgia of any recent run with the initial band. Good thing I had a 30-minute nap!

42.3 degrees. Overcast. ENE wind approximately 15mph.
nam3km_T850_seus_6.png

3km NAM has precip moving into Raleigh by 09z now! This has sped up from where we were yesterday. View attachment 106297
Precip always and I mean always arrives earlier than progged around here, fact. Death, taxes, NW trend and precip arriving early, never fail

Back