• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

How does the HRRR usually handle wedging? I seem to recall it being too warm in the past, but that may be outdated at this point. It seems to be on the cooler side of guidance now.

Looks like in general the models are picking up on CAD being more robust than previously modeled, which shouldn’t really be shocking and is something we see a lot with legit CAD (not that borderline crap in-situ stuff).

hrrr
1642442400-J48RItTFcu4.png

I've been puzzled at the rain snow hodgepodge under the northern half of the 500mb storm. I believe the temperatures are verifying colder by several degrees at the surface. I also believe the models are giving too much heat value to the warm gulf moisture and not enough cold value to the cold core LP aloft. I will be surprised if most of the precip that falls across the northern half of Alabama and Mississippi tomorrow.

Back