• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I wonder if a slightly further south of track ULL will help my chances to see flurries tonight just north of Baton Rouge, near the MS border? I keep checking every HRRR run to see, and it looks like the edge of the precip tonight may send some flurries over my location as the cold core of the low passes near and just north of location.

Normally we could handle these winds but they are coming in that “Hugo like direction”

With that kind of insane NE flow, there's no way the surface low can do anything but slide across south Georgia before transferring to the coast. I've never seen anything like this storm modeled for this area. Truly fascinating!

I'd love to see an analog of one exist.

@Jimmy Hypocracy GSP: The Winter Storm will not only cause major ice accumulations across the NC/SC/GA piedmont, there will be heavy snow accumulations across the NC/SC/GA mountains and foothills with sleet/freezing rain mixing in. With more ice expected, snow totals have decreased in this latest update. #scwx #ncwx #gawx

My hubby turned on TWC and it said state of emergency for GA. SC, NC and I believe VA.... Interesting...I had no idea...
The usual TWC panic mode. State of Emergency allows the state to use certain resources. I wish they would change it or have a lesser adjective for certain events.

@Jimmy Hypocracy GSP: The Winter Storm will not only cause major ice accumulations across the NC/SC/GA piedmont, there will be heavy snow accumulations across the NC/SC/GA mountains and foothills with sleet/freezing rain mixing in. With more ice expected, snow totals have decreased in this latest update. #scwx #ncwx #gawx
I’m a little shook. This one is going to be tough to drive out of Monday’s might stay til Tuesday if needed.

Yo these hrrr colder trends are really impressive aloft and at the sfc
They really are and I sent you a PM about it with a question if you got a minute. The odd thing is I didn’t see GSP reference the HRRR any in their discussion and all the short range models appear to be moving towards it

Moderate risk of what
Gonna go off a limb here and say a exceptional dangerous High Risk will be issued in the morning for southern Winston-Salem, southern GSO, down into Asheboro zoo area could be a war zone. This “could” extend into western Raleigh metro and north-eastern Charlotte metro.
dude can you post some maps or evidence of what a high risk is or means? Or is that just your thinking?

Moderate risk of what

dude can you post some maps or evidence of what a high risk is or means? Or is that just your thinking?
I can’t get the WPC moderate risk to load but I believe it’s up to 0.5”. I think they consider High Risk over half inch of thick ice.

Back