• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Snowing pretty good Sky Valley
That is stunningly beautiful, use to be a ski resort and quite a good one as well, really looks like some big flakes and starting to accumulate, I see a foot here at least..

temps seem to be hold pretty well!
I have 44.6 here. My thermometer is proven accurate too.

Looks like it'll top out about 5 degrees below the forecast high. The less work for tonight's wedge and dynamical cooling to do, the better.

For us in North AL, I still don't understand why we're not under a WSWatch if both an advisory & warning is an upgrade from a watch. It makes no sense.

17z RAP at hour 21 (I'm still hopefully for a couple hours of snow):
View attachment 106044
We better hope so because if we don’t get a at least an inch or so I would be really worried about our ice threat as I think this quickly goes over to freezing rain

Mt. Oglethorpe is in northeastern Pickens Co, GA just outside of Jasper. I had heard that there were a few flakes up on the mountain earlier today honestly didn't believe it. Temps in Jasper were around 45 and we have had light rain with winds out of the SSE. Jasper, Ga is around 1,500 ft of elevation. Heading out of town about 10 minutes or so up the mountain, it rises to around just under 3,000 ft as you cross into Dawson County. There is a road that goes up along the spine of Mt. Oglethorpe and climbs to around 3,270 ft or so.

I decided to drive up around 12:15 or so. Temp dropped to 34 degrees and we had a small flizzard around 2700 ft and it got a little heavier as we turned up the road heading to the top. Nothing sticking ... even on roofs, but cool to see. I was surprised to see it at this point.

Here is a brief VIDEO taken. Good luck to you all you fellow weenies! Stay safe, warm, and hope your power stays on!

Back