• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Yeah….if that baby could hold off on taking that N turn until it’s near the coast it could be glory for us in the I20 corridor and Atl metro!!!
The further SE of the modeled track through Georgia, even 50 miles or so, the better. That would keep the surface low a bit further SE reinforcing the wedge which is critical for our area on the periphery.

The lack of cold air now on cams should be very concerning for people in the midsouth. Seems to be getting warmer and warmer. Could be why memphis hasn’t pulled the plug and issued a warning

I was hoping to get 1-2 hours snow when this starts, 3 I would be estatic, before the flip to sleet. Looking at models It appears we will start as just plain sleet. No sweat/ debate surface will stay below freezing the entire event. That is set in stone. Concern is real for a .5+ ice accrual. Much higher than yesterday when I thought sleet would win out and strong winds might have a chance to offset a heavy buildup. Ill look at 925mb tonight, see about timing the sleet to frzng rn switch. If your on 85 corridir from charlotte to Triad to NC/VA line, .4-.75 ice accrual is gonna be the Norm unfortunately.
You get .5 its manageable, but not with Raleigh saying gust to 40mph its a bad recipe for widespread power outages, not run of the mill.

The further SE of the modeled track through Georgia, even 50 miles or so, the better. That would keep the surface low a bit further SE reinforcing the wedge which is critical for our area on the periphery.
Yes! If we can deepen/reinforce the CAD it might even support less zr and more ip or even sn for our region

Slight change from me, Wilkes/Surry 1-3” snow and ice. Damaging ice storm near and just east of i77. Crippling ice Yadkinville, Davie, Winston, Statesville. 3-6” snow mtns and ice but 6-12” above 3,500ft near beech MTN.

See if precip moves in faster than modeled. Almost always does it seems and exits faster as well.

Kido is at 4300ft Boone. Ill get a good ob Monday morning. Theyll score 1-4 off wrap around and Im guessing 7-11 off the storm. 8-15 , should net closer to 15 if waa doesnt mess with them.

I'll say this watching the Water Vapor compared to the models definitely for now the trajectory seems more S as models have it turning before getting into texas and curving and just hitting the NE corner of Texas as it moves eastwardly
Is this good or bad for west ga

Back