• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

NAM still showing wraparound show in Alabama fwiw. Still not understanding how part of North Alabama get rain and parts of South Alabama get snow

nam3km_ref_frzn_seus_29.png
Marginal BL probably ptype driven and its possible by the point there is a good amount of cold wrapped S and SW of the system

Is there a certain temp/dew at a certain time you would like to see for DAH to really get in on all that HRRR snow? Or does surface temp matter less still cause of WAA? I’m wondering how you will be tracking this in real time?
In this situation I'm my interested in how warm we get today. The strong CAD doesn't arrive until later tonight so if we get into the upper 40s then it will take longer to switch to snow if we ever do. Thankfully we are covered in clouds and precip is streaming in from the west cooling the upper levels. So right now it looks good. Inside 12 hours my go to is the HRRR which does great at capturing precip types from my experience. I've rarely seen it stay snow when it shows the warm nose invading.

Not much really, the key point is where it will pivot to go North
It does matter more to the Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia crew though. In any case, it's fascinating to watch the bowling ball we've all been glued to the models watching every panel in the flesh.

It does matter more to the Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia crew though. In any case, it's fascinating to watch the bowling ball we've all been glued to the models watching every panel in the flesh.
Yeah….if that baby could hold off on taking that N turn until it’s near the coast it could be glory for us in the I20 corridor and Atl metro!!!

Not much really, the key point is where it will pivot to go North
The key is whether it takes a parabolic path around the trough or whether it makes a hard left at Montgomery, AL and if it pulls the lower level low pressure and 850 mb low over the Apps. If that still evolves, we have much more warm air advancing north and west.

In this situation I'm my interested in how warm we get today. The strong CAD doesn't arrive until later tonight so if we get into the upper 40s then it will take longer to switch to snow if we ever do. Thankfully we are covered in clouds and precip is streaming in from the west cooling the upper levels. So right now it looks good. Inside 12 hours my go to is the HRRR which does great at capturing precip types from my experience. I've rarely seen it stay snow when it shows the warm nose invading.
It looks like some of those 4,000 peaks in the Rich Wilderness may be getting a few flakes mixing in. We are all virga right now and the temp has not deviated much over the past couple of hours (41.4/29).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-105101_AccuWeather.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-105101_AccuWeather.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
It looks like some of those 4,000 peaks in the Rich Wilderness may be getting a few flakes mixing in. We are all virga right now and the temp has not deviated much over the past couple of hours (41.4/29).
It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'm 39.0 and holding steady wind is out of the East. I also have a station on Beech mountain at 4700 ft and the wind is still from the West. Once that thing flips East you know strong CAD is on the way.

Back