• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Here's a interesting thing for weather weenies. Dew points around 32 in central Alabama.aka Radiational cooling should be able to get to that 32. Man this is flirting with such a fine line. I have a gut feeling that the CAD is going to extend almost near BirminghamScreenshot_20220114-195115.png

Soundings reveal that during the peak of the snow band around Charlotte, 850s manage to cool off right below 0C, the DGZ is also fairly high as well and has plenty of omega, this points to IP/graupel/heavily rimed snowflakes on the front end with this solution, who ever gets under this will have fun for a couple of hours before IP takes over with this look, I would like to see the 3km show something similar and other CAMs, i think even the HRRR is overselling it a bit 58DFB0C1-1738-410B-85CC-C81296A8508B.png

Grain of salt, and this is where the Globals still come in <48hrs, that is HRRR feedback parking a 999mb in NE GA, it's called orographic lift. Expect the NAM to dampen this at-least on 12km res. SLP will follow lower/mid level gradient, maximum delta T to the coast and right now this looks like the eastern FL Panhandle through the Coastal Plain as vertical stacking begins. Bombs away, feeling much better for western NC with elevation at this stage, highest tops are looking at several feet.

I just don’t trust the HRRR past hour 20 tbh
The reason that I give it such attention in this situation is because it has a great history of catching onto these FGEN bands. It also helps that this something that the Euro had been very steadfast in the last several days, so it has that support. Also if you compare the different runs of the NAM today, you’ll notice that the NAM is moving towards what the HRRR is showing… it’s just having a problem catching onto the strong dynamical cooling that takes place from it

hrrr
1642377600-aO7W6FMNssk.png

Fine line between WWA and WSW criteria in metro ATL. Good luck figuring out the line

I would anticipate the fringe counties of the watch being upgraded to an advisory, and the inner counties being updated to a WSW. They completely canceled the Hazardous weather outlook statement for areas south and west hours ago, so that just just goes to show you they aren't even the slightest bit concerned about that area.

Back