• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

My updated forecast. Just a few tweaks. Admittedly, the soundings show more sleet than freezing rain compared to what I have, but I'm predicting that the modeling will warm some between now and Sunday. Will issue a final update tomorrow. Good luck to all!

2woFyqD.gif

sGlsCGE.gif

When is the 00z
Times are in EST
GFS (out to 384 hours)
0z: 10:30pm
6z: 4:30am
12z: 10:30am
18z: 4:30pm

NAM (out to 84 hours)*RDP runs a little bit later after 9
0z: 8:35pm
6z: 2:35am
12z: 8:35am
18z: 2:35pm

CMC (out to 180 hours)
0z: 12:00am
12z : 12:00pm

UKMET (out to 72 hours)
0z: 12:30am
12z: 12:30pm

ECMWF (EURO) (out to 240 hours)
0z: 1:30am
12z: 1:30pm

HRRR/RAP run pretty much hourly and HRWs 0z run around 10 I believe?

My updated forecast. Just a few tweaks. Admittedly, the soundings show more sleet than freezing rain compared to what I have, but I'm predicting that the modeling will warm some between now and Sunday. Will issue a final update tomorrow. Good luck to all!

2woFyqD.gif

sGlsCGE.gif
Looks good to me. There's sooo much bust potential high and low around the I85 corridor. I'm hoping tomorrow you have to make some uptick changes...lol

Euro has the low center well inland over NC. Center goes right over Raleigh. Charlotte goes above freezing on it but after most precip has ended. Most of SC below I-85 gets above freezing too but only after a bad ice storm.

This will be a go from Eastern to Western NC, higher than I would like bust potential, 18"+ still suspect. As things stand now, I booked a small apartment 2 minute walk to App State, 2 nights. Actively working on a spot in Sugar Village as this will be elevation dependent, the difference between 3 and 4+ thousand feet will be significant. Wheels up around noon tomorrow and hope to do some live streaming once shop is established and hammer down.

This will be a go from Eastern to Western NC, higher than I would like bust potential, 18"+ still suspect. As things stand now, I booked a small apartment 2 minute walk to App State, 2 nights. Actively working on a spot in Sugar Village as this will be elevation dependent, the difference between 3 and 4+ thousand feet will be significant. Wheels up around noon tomorrow and hope to do some live streaming once shop is established and hammer down.
I’m on Sugar at 4300- it’s truly a crap shoot at these elevations : either 12 or 18 depending on…

Will be in Avery County (Banner Elk area around ~3700 ft) - very hopeful for some good totals

Drive to sugar top

Unless these trends reverse i don't see much more than 12in in WNC maybe above 4000 12+. Even the foothills will do good to see 3-5 imo based on recent runs. Not the trends you want to see for snow for us in the foothills. Down east will probably be saved by sleet and high rates .25 is possible in areas maybe pockets of more than that. I'm going 3k and hrr tomorrow night probably your most likely outcome by then.

Last edited:
Back