• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I need to see these gulf members please. This is what I have:

View attachment 105636View attachment 105637View attachment 105638
I think what's deceiving with the surface low placement on both the operational and ensemble maps is the surface low feature is actually elongated (occluded?) and the location of the absolute lowest pressure is irrelevant. It's better to look at the surface wind barbs to get a handle on how the low-level flow is interacting with the low from the CAD high. Then once in Georgia, it of course begins the handoff to the coastal in SC.

That said, the GFS did take another tick south with the overall surface flow although it didn't appear to change the model's thermal profiles much at all...yet.

Guys several post has been deleted because of banter or small talk. Please use this forum for this.

I definitely don't think we will see much in the way of rain. Whatever falls is going to be frozen. This CAD is just too stout. Area's further east, closer to the LP, sure. But I am pretty confident CLT stays frozen throughout the entire duration.
I remember my first warm nose in NC too

I definitely don't think we will see much in the way of rain. Whatever falls is going to be frozen. This CAD is just too stout. Area's further east, closer to the LP, sure. But I am pretty confident CLT stays frozen throughout the entire duration.
Yep if the CAD is there, and I think it will be, that is a lock. Everyone NW of highway 72 in SC would stay below freezing. I would also think all of Union county NC would stay below too. Might be iffy for Wadesboro down to Lancaster and SE of there though.

That kinda reminds of the February 2015 Ice/Sleet Storm when the GFS was way off on temperatures in NE GA just 12 hours before. It had those areas in the mid to upper 30s with rain and they actually were 10-12 degrees colder with major ice
That was a big bust for lots of people. Was supposed to be rain here too, but we got sleet.

That was a big bust for lots of people. Was supposed to be rain here too, but we got sleet.
Yeah the key to it was a mesohigh that formed in SW VA that helped strengthen the CAD… the short range models picked it up, but the GFS never did

snku_acc.us_ma.png

Checking the 22z HRRR. The HRRR is really trying to establish a surface low on the gulf by Midday Saturday. Only a few more hours to the 00z to see the whole picture. This is Paramount for snow totals being pushed south
Hmmm you guys around the I-20 area needs to definitely follow this storm closely there’s definitely going to be some surprises especially in Alabama

00Z should be interesting tonight. Curious so see if the NAM can speed things up and if it holds that ice look. We go into an ice sounding for about 8 hours. Considering it is normally stronger, make it 10. Doubt we stay sleet either.

NWS must be discounting NAM to a degree because there is no mention of ice in my point and click.

Back