• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

The 18z has not been kind to much of TN. This is probably their worst of the last six or seven runs. :(
The 18z has not been kind to much of TN. This is probably their worst of the last six or seven runs. :(
I don’t know that I’ve ever seen such extreme model discrepancies. 12Z Euro and it’s ens run says winter is coming while the 18Z NAM says I’ll be building a mud man.
Here is the 12Z Euro plus it’s Ens run.
8B9D1DCB-08C9-4286-BF1F-07B29745E6F7.pngC2AE9DB1-09F3-4A9D-B8CC-A698603D3CF4.png
And the 18z Nam
0C356142-0ED2-47A6-A904-19CDA91E2B4A.png

There it is.
Dade-Walker-Catoosa-Whitfield-Murray-Chattooga-Gordon-Cherokee-
Forsyth-Gwinnett-Barrow-Clarke-Oconee-Oglethorpe-Wilkes-
Including the cities of Calhoun, Lawrenceville, and Athens
400 PM EST Fri Jan 14 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow
accumulations of up to two inches, with higher amounts possible
at higher elevations, and ice accumulations of up two tenths of
an inch possible. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of east central, north central, northeast and
northwest Georgia.

* WHEN...From late Saturday night through late Sunday night.

* IMPACTS...Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the
heavy snow and ice. Travel could be nearly impossible

How do you think the scenic city fares with this one?

similar to the Jan 3rd storm, but with a longer period of snow and cooler ground temps, I think we'll end up with more to show for it in the valleys

downtown = dusting
airport = 1/2"
suburbs (Soddy, Ooltewah, Ringgold, etc) = 1" to 1.5"
2-3" on the ridgetops (1000-1400' elevation)
3"-6" for Lookout and Signal mtns

18z
View attachment 105616
I have a tough time believing the sporadic mixing issues along the way on this system... I will believe these gaps will get some coverage as well during this event until it proves me wrong
For Example Soundings off of Pivotal for Cherokee, Etowah, and Lawrence counties in AL all show Snow sounds even though model depicts rain and no accumulation at frame 48
1642195506179.png

For you Charlotte proper peeps. BP leaning to an Ice Storm for the metro.. (even though we are under WSW)
Meh, I think he may be possibly overdoing doing ice totals. I think a WSW is sufficient enough considering the uncertainty in what type of precip may fall. What's concerning to me is the fact that we may see a quick burst of 1-3 inches of front-end snow and if we add even a .50 inch on top of that, with the wind we could be looking at some significant issues. But not sure if that warrants an Ice storm warning.

Last edited:
Chris says pull out the rain boots.

And no this isn’t banter iv seen first call maps posted all day so it shouldn’t be deleted again.
I like Chris but this is a bad graphic. Really bad call here for the southern extent imo

Meh, I think he may be possibly doing ice totals. I think a WSW is sufficient enough considering the uncertainty in what type of precip may fall. What's concerning to me is the fact that we may see a quick burst of 1-3 inches of front-end snow and if we add even a .50 inch on top of that, with the wind we could be looking at some significant issues. But not sure if that warrants an Ice storm warning.
I think we most likely see a sloppy mix of sleet and maybe a little snow with a dash of rain mixed in around Charlotte. Seen this story a lot. Warm nose always wins even in my area north of Charlotte. The low is just cranking to much and blowtorching with those windows from the south.

Back