• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

CAD much stronger so far on the HRRR despite the slight low wobble north.
12z
hrrr_Td2m_seus_32.png

18z
hrrr_Td2m_seus_26.png
Peep the below freezing temps in central Alabama midday Saturday

IF the wedge strength is being underplayed (like normal), continue to expect shifts south.. I still don't expect the primary low to cut thru the wedge (unless it stays on the wedge boundary)

Granted, southerly flow aloft will be ramping, which MAY have the SFC low try to ride along the coast...but with every depiction I've seen so far, the wedge boundary continues to reside offshore out towards the Western Wall of The Gulf Stream... That's where I'd expect a jump to occur or the primary to likely take it's path.

Guidance historically misjudges the erosion down in the Coastal Plain in SC.
Expect further downward adjustments on temps, track, and column crash with such potential heavy rates before latent heat processes can take over

I still honestly expect those sleet maps are way underdone and a lot of what is showing up as ZR on those maps will turn out to be sleet, especially on the northern periphery. I’d be surprised if the predominant P-type here isn’t IP.
That’s what happened in December of ‘02

Back