• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Euro precip totals...no pushover

EiMIya7.png
For areas that stay all frozen (in whatever form), that's going to be a mess!

Meh... for Western Side the back precip dry's up and gets carried off quickly :/
I'd not hold your breath on the backside unless it's 6 hours out from being at your doorstep. Too many times it's overmodeled or too light. In few instances will it get enough moisture to really perform but you've got to be in the right place at the right time.

In a perfect world we get the CAD signatures near the WFA and RGEM models on the start of the event and then the Low riding thru southern AL/cutting thru S.GA to Savannah and then up coast before lifting off which will maximum the ULL rolling thru
Which is essentially what the 12z NAM run yesterday did...

Charlotte metro will max out around 0.25” ZR. The bigger totals south or east prob won’t verify maybe 0.25” in isolated areas due to warming and heavy rates. I’ve spent a lot of time with ice maps to know the bottom half sometimes don’t verify more than a glaze to 0.1”. With that said, some will see ice storm warning criteria with a bullseye around Charlotte north imo maybe even to Asheboro near the NC state Zoo area

Euro last 3 12z runs:

TodayView attachment 105511
Yesterday
View attachment 105512
Wednesday
View attachment 105513
It's been moving SE incrementally
Feels like the euro has been the most consistent so far out of the global models. Lines up well with the mesoscale models. My gut tells me that the temps are a little higher forecasted then what they verify as in Alabama. Seen enough snow events in my short life to know winter weather is wacky. Feels like I've had a couple years took off my lifespan from this one event. Central Alabama is flirting with a REAL thin line in terms of impacts if even a tiny adjustment is made

Back