• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Well this would be quite bad. Basically a disaster waiting to happen. Heavy Icing with temperatures in the 20s throughout the I-20 areas in SC and GA? The saving grace is that no other models show this. However this shows that I-20 areas in far west SC/GA are not out of the danger zone for major icing just yet. We need to watch over the next 24-36 if other models trend towards the much colder solution that the HRW WRF-ARW model shows zr_acc.us_se.pngsfct.us_se.png

For the N. Georgia area ice crazies (me), if ever surface temps were to verify a little colder than modeled it would happen on a strong NE wind. 20mph with gusts to 35+ qualifies and at least that part seems rock solid.

Imo, it's looking more likely that CLT and the immediate NW burbs are gonna be saved by sleet, even the WPC seems to have the worst of the ZR just south and east of CLT.
I agree with this. If I had to put money on it, I would say that eastern York and Lancaster Counties in SC and then going NE from there in Anson County, NC will have the longest duration of ZR and the heaviest accrual. Just N and W in Union and western Stanly counties and west if there, still some ZR… .1-.25” with sleet being the dominant precip and a good bit of it

I will eat my hat if it is 18 degrees at GSP and 24 at ATL at 12z Sunday like the WRF-ARW shows. Still even if it's a few degrees too cold, could be sniffing out that the CAD will be stronger than we thought.
Yes, that's what I'm concerned about. Even if you adjust it up 3 degrees, it's still 29 to 30 and icing up. Add the winds, which all of the models are showing, and we have power concerns. the NAM 3km wind gusts are really starting to concern me. I'd rather this stay rain and not add extra weight to the trees. I lost power on that last storm due to high winds alone.

I documented all the qpf outputs for models and all the latest where above1.0 except ukmet was down to .9.
You are correct, just 30 hours ago they all where 1.5-2.0 heer in the Triad and uniform back to the ridge line

My expierence with transfers is we always end up less than modeled qpf. I'll be suprised with more than .75 qpf north of 40 from Asheville to Burlington
I think there are a few things that will help precip wise in this case:

1. Low transfer occurs in Bama as opposed to E TN
2. Wave is going negative tilt
3. Strong and closed 850mb low is oriented in such a manner that the typically reliable overrunning forcing builds in nicely (seen here)

Of course, all of those things are a net negative with respect to temperatures aloft (warming)

0o10rdR.gif

I will eat my hat if it is 18 degrees at GSP and 24 at ATL at 12z Sunday like the WRF-ARW shows. Still even if it's a few degrees too cold, could be sniffing out that the CAD will be stronger than we thought.
I mean even if it’s running around 4 degrees too cold, you’re still talking about mid 20s with precipitation

Question for someone smarter than me: At what point do we look at radar returns vs what's modeled (HRRR)?

I assume this will help with nowcasting, but the returns do look to have a larger precip shield.

Back