• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This really is a battle of just exactly where that low heads and just how much backside precip forms for anyone Atlanta Westward

This is the highest resolution in the free world! lol

wE1qoKp.gif

Nice! If I can get 4 hours of moderate snow in the 20s before the inevitable switch over to ice, I'll take that as a legit win for this storm. Glad the 3k and the HRRR show a front end thump. Hopefully that hangs on.

Update on my thinking, much shorter duration of snow for the mtns, 4-8” and 3-6” foothills, 1-3” just east of there, also less ice due to quick hitting rates I think .25” around Charlotte.

Of concern the 6z Hires Euro has now reduced the storm to 4 hours of precipitation over most of western NC. Just 2 days ago models were depicting a 18 hour event
I documented all the qpf outputs for models and all the latest where above1.0 except ukmet was down to .9.
You are correct, just 30 hours ago they all where 1.5-2.0 heer in the Triad and uniform back to the ridge line

My expierence with transfers is we always end up less than modeled qpf. I'll be suprised with more than .75 qpf north of 40 from Asheville to Burlington

Why is there more ice showing up in the mountains vs spots slightly east (e.g., around Hickory area)
Wedge erodes top down not bottom up. Strongest near the surface. Hickory is lower and snug in the heart of cad. Boone is on the edge and any wind gust could send them soaring.

Reactions: ajr
Back