• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

The hrrr is south but it's gonna turn corner . It's crap at 48 hours anyway . Two years ago I had 6 inches plus showing from 48 down to 30 hours and ended up with nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know this has been discussed to some degree previously but how soon will models have a better handle on how the second wave dropping dwn will effect our current system re “where the left turn occurs”? I’m assuming us Ga and maybe Nc/SC folks prefer farther east….

It's precarious relying on dynamic cooling to get snow especially when you're not under the cold core upper level low....wouldn't put too much into the HRRR for now.
Gulf, how well do you think the modeling is handling the LP at this pt? Eg. Do you buy the more southerly track and also do you buy the N turn thru Ga vs farther east thru Carolina? I’m interested in how the next incoming wave may or may not be effecting the modeling.

Gulf, how well do you think the modeling is handling the LP at this pt? Eg. Do you buy the more southerly track and also do you buy the N turn thru Ga vs farther east thru Carolina? I’m interested in how the next incoming wave may or may not be effecting the modeling.

To me it really depends on the strength of the wedge come verification. The stronger the wedge, the more likely, you'll see a track further south verifiy and vice versa.

Me too. Didn't your area over perform with a similar finger around valentines day in 2014 or 2015?
I can't keep up with last year's weather, let alone back in 2014/2015..ha! Yes, we've had a few surprises over the years and there are occasionally some out of the blue snows.

NAM is a little further south and the High is a little stronger with a bit more CAD at 33.
Those dry dewpoints can sometimes dry out more of the storm than you like....and too much warm moist gulf air can sometimes bring more heat than you like...but...the 93 blizzard definitely had plenty of gulf moisture. Not quite the same dynamics here...at least not modelled

Soundings (at least on pivotal) indicate rain for the pretty color areas thru town) 850s show at 1C, so it makes sense.
It's precarious relying on dynamic cooling to get snow especially when you're not under the cold core upper level low....wouldn't put too much into the HRRR for now.
1642169740397.png1642169746924.png
I would love for this to be wrong, but there's not much room 'twixt the DPs & 2m temps here. 33/32 & rain.

Back