• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Ok this is spicy... Check this out.

Euro develops an area of weak instability as our trough begins to develop a negative tilt and a 300mb jet streak develops (placing the comma-head region under the LFQ) . Simultaneously, our LLJ really begins to crank and approaches 60mph. The end result? The potential for slanted elevated convection capable of thundersnow/sleet/ZR combined with surface gusts perhaps approaching 40mph. This area of instability and strong synoptic forcing gradually progresses north northeastward into VA.

1642125200038.png
1642125213975.png
1642126179779.png

18Z Euro mean
1642485600-sBzKxds8KWI.png

21 inches near Clarksville, lol, geebus
Most of you guys were not even here, or your parents, in January 1973. Atlanta got obliterated by an ice storm, we had no power for 11 days, it was fun at first for this 17 year old, but got old after about the 4th day. Ironically this started sat night into Sunday. And how about the blizzard a month later in central GA which dumped 15-24 inches. This was a La Nina year as well.

My brother was born in Atlanta on January 12th, 1973. My parents talk about getting to the hospital that day every time we have winter weather in Atlanta.

This did not make sense to me until I looked closer, the latest was from the last GFS run while the bottom graph was from the NAM 18Z, there is the difference, my bad for not checking closer

Most of you guys were not even here, or your parents, in January 1973. Atlanta got obliterated by an ice storm, we had no power for 11 days, it was fun at first for this 17 year old, but got old after about the 4th day. Ironically this started sat night into Sunday. And how about the blizzard a month later in central GA which dumped 15-24 inches. This was a La Nina year as well.

1. Per @dsaur, temperatures were 32 on the Buckhead bank thermometer he was watching and official records had it no colder than 30-31 for the coldest for the entire January 1973 storm.

2. 1-2/1973 was during El Niño, not La Niña.

Last edited:
Back