• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Isn't going to take a lot to force these 925s down. Its interesting that 2014 is mentioned as a top analog and we had a big wind event on 1/11 that had an 86 mph gust at RDU. That event started the step down to about 4-5 weeks of glory
ed7d0d04b4a60925a8d8e3948ff80ae4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I remember that well. There was a lot of tree damage on Hwy 98 not too far from me.
FB_IMG_1547867496274.jpg

Lol I'm not surprised, your layout is really nice btw. Yeah I saved this image at the time and it's one of the cleanest shots I could get of the LES band

Here's an animation of the band (also so others here can enjoy this extremely rare event).

Looks like some virga might have developed in far northern Wake County around 9z-10z from training over Lake Kerr and Falls Lake so you were very close to getting a few flakes but light-moderate snow fell for about 2-3 hours in parts of Nash & Wilson counties!

January-22-9z-18z-Lake-Effect-Snow-Band.gif
We had a real cold outbreak in Jan of 96, there was Lake Effect off of Lake Hartwell

I think this is important to remember . Sure everyone wants a big storm with a foot of snow . But a few inches followed by days of brutal cold can be far more impactful and in fact is my preference when it comes to winter storms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt and this isn’t a dig at anyone, but a 1-3 or 2-4” snow followed by a super flash freeze would be super nasty for everyone because I would imagine we will hear the “ ground temps are too warm or it’s been warm lately no travel issues expected “.

We had a real cold outbreak in Jan of 96, there was Lake Effect off of Lake Hartwell

Suprised it hasnt happened more with that lake just because topography around it should give quicker buoyancy to the warm ,moist air. There probably has been a case of it at fontana lake as well before. Envy the LES residents .

Last edited:
Back