• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

As fun as that looks there is no need to get excited over a day 8-10 storm . Models are still bouncing the day 5-6 storm .

Is it possible sure but My excitement level is like 5 percent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to be wasting energy or emotions on operational runs. That time will come...
So, you're saying this storm system isn't in the mid range with it being in the 1/23 - 1/24 time frame? which is not far off from with it being in the 7 day window. Besides, the beginnings of the storm is under 240hrs. Mid range IMO.
Not in numerical weather prediction time it most certainly is not. Beyond 7 days model skill scores suggest an individual operational solution will more likely be wrong than right. WPC defines the medium range as Days 3-7 which I agree with.

I can honestly say I have never seen a GFS run that ridiculously cold ever in my life. It was showing several days of sub 20s for highs in north Georgia. This won't verify, but definitely interesting to follow for sure. Our friends on the high west facing slopes in WNC would have sub zero highs with wind chills like none seen since the early to mid 90s. Thanks for those breaking all of this down, obviously this is just an operational fantasy run.

LOL, I don't believe that for a second

It honestly is for a solution like that . Again , it’s a possible solution but highly unlikely. I’m excited for a system as I went all in on the 20th-25th a few days ago . But that solution is just fun to look . 100 percent 00z will look nothing like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18Z GEFS has some SLP in the Gulf near Day 9-10 with strong HP to N/NE. The 18Z GFS OP has a 50/50 low low at ~981mb slowing down the high pressure and locks in CAD high longer. Regardless though looking past this individual storm on the OP run, the 18Z GEFS keeps a trough in the East with a favorable +PNA/-EPO/-NAO/-AO going into late Jan. Won't be much longer till we are tracking a legit threat. Last two images is Day 10 500mb height anomaly of GEFS vs GFS OP.
gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_40.pnggfs-ens_z500a_namer_41.pnggfs_z500a_namer_41.png

18Z GEFS has some SLP in the Gulf near Day 9-10 with strong HP to N/NE. The 18Z GFS OP has a 50/50 low low at ~981mb slowing down the high pressure and locks in CAD high longer. Regardless though looking past this individual storm on the OP run, the 18Z GEFS keeps a trough in the East with a favorable +PNA/-EPO/-NAO/-AO going into late Jan. Won't be much longer till we are tracking a legit threat. Last two images is Day 10 500mb height anomaly of GEFS vs GFS OP.
View attachment 11146View attachment 11147View attachment 11145
Wouldn't this be a good look for the TX, LA, AR, and MS region of the southeast?

Different looks for sure, fv3 has that annoying ridge off the east coast and it’s wayyyy stronger on the fv

FA62CE69-2B70-4818-8E01-D17CA41EE160.png8FE33CBB-7147-4ECE-8291-75A25801BC7C.png

Now is not the time to be wasting energy or emotions on operational runs. That time will come...

Not in numerical weather prediction time it most certainly is not. Beyond 7 days model skill scores suggest an individual operational solution will more likely be wrong than right. WPC defines the medium range as Days 3-7 which I agree with.
I have a different perspective on time frames

1 - 5 days - short range

6 - 10 days - mid range

11+ days - long range

Well obviously this is the BeST case scenario. So that means it won’t happen. Lol

In all seriousness, if we can clear the northern branch and drive that arctic boundary south, something is likely to pop on that boundary with all the energy flying around.

Different looks for sure, fv3 has that annoying ridge off the east coast and it’s wayyyy stronger on the fv

View attachment 11154View attachment 11155

Yep, the run works for wintry but just in the western part of the SE. Interesting as it felt like to me the FV3 had recently gone away from that ridge. Maybe firing an early reality warning shot for the 0z? (or maybe we don't know since it's still pretty far out)

View attachment 11154View attachment 11155
FV has a full latitude trough so the ridge off of the SE coast pops in response. The gfs brings the northern stream through faster and compresses the heights along the east coast while depositing a fresh arctic airmass and you get a monster storm. For either the system over the weekend or the one being discussed here you have to have stream separation or you get a cutter or some ugly miller b trash

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Somebody want to post the weeklies? They're over at the other site and they're gorgeous. Looks like they're right on time, and go from end of January to March with nothing but blocking over the top and -NAO for weeks that just gets better and better.

This might be a bit aggressive.
fae7b61e07db623408afc7e3bd585d78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back