• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

As much as I'd like the EMCF solution to verify verbatim, what we do not want to see is that ULL get buried in the SW like the GFS has shown for at least a few runs now. That would delay or kill any return to a much colder pattern for the rest of January at a minimum.

The GFS has support from its ensembles and to an extent the operational Canadian. Anxiously awaiting the EPS run.

As much as I'd like the EMCF solution to verify verbatim, what we do not want to see is that ULL get buried in the SW like the GFS has shown for at least a few runs now. That would delay or kill any return to a much colder pattern for the rest of January at a minimum.

The GFS has support from its ensembles and to an extent the operational Canadian. Anxiously awaiting the EPS run.
The 12Z 1/13/2023 EPS has plenty of members dropping the trough into the SW, based on the 500mb anomalies. My call to cancel winter in Atlanta is looking really good now. California will certainly be out of drought conditions by mid-February. The Sierra's are going to have three years worth of ice reserves for them at this rate!

The gefs shows how you could potentially make chicken salad out of a mid 500mb pattern with the sfc highs stringing along the Canadian border. Miller Bs for days
This is something we were talking about yesterday. Even with the way the GEFS wants to dump and sit that energy in the southwest and with flexing the SER, it’s keeping high pressure moving along the Canadian border… this is still a set up that can produce winter storms across the southeast.. especially TN, KY, northern MS and AL, and then CAD set ups east of the mountains in the Carolinas and northern GA…. again this would be favored to Miller Bs like you said and more geared ice/sleet with FGEN forced snowfall on the front end.

Edit: and just to add this is something that would also be favored during the last 10 days of January as the MJO will be going through phase 1/2

The 12Z 1/13/2023 EPS has plenty of members dropping the trough into the SW, based on the 500mb anomalies. My call to cancel winter in Atlanta is looking really good now. California will certainly be out of drought conditions by mid-February. The Sierra's are going to have three years worth of ice reserves for them at this rate!

The 12Z GFS is full speed ahead with a cancelling winter for many of us. Upper 70’s into the Carolinas late in the month. I know it’s the GFS but I’m inclined to believe every warm solution.

I also believe any ULL forecasted to sit over the SW. Always delivers. Always.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12Z GFS is full speed ahead with a cancelling winter for many of us. Upper 70’s into the Carolinas late in the month. I know it’s the GFS but I’m inclined to believe every warm solution.

Trust me, a lot will change between now and then.

I’m as inclined to believe a warm GFS solution 2 weeks out as I am to believe the GFS showing a southeast blizzard 2 weeks out. As far the ULL sitting in the SW…that’s not a killer for cold and storm chances when you have high pressures moving across the northern tier like the GEFS showed.

I’m as inclined to believe a warm GFS solution 2 weeks out as I am to believe the GFS showing a southeast blizzard 2 weeks out. As far the ULL sitting in the SW…that’s not a killer for cold and storm chances when you have high pressures moving across the northern tier like the GEFS showed.
Just say no to GFS and its buried ULL into the SW.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember when failure to launch out of the SW was a Euro thing. Seems the roles have reversed lol.
gfs-ens_T2ma_us_43.png

Back