• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

I would love to see that at that location
That town is paradise. They still ferry you out to National seashore, drop you off and come back to get you?

Current Obs: 46 degrees, breezy/Chilly, But we got had Sun for a while. Ground conditions are full on swamp. Sink walking in the yard from all the rain this winter. Yesterday was another big soaker. and it looks like another big round is due in here Wednesday. El nino conditions have been persistent here for weeks.

Greensboro is making a serious run at the wettest January on record
Yeah they still do. Beautiful to see the beaches covered in snow. Shame it is such a rare event.

View attachment 131040
I’ll take my chances with this look any day however it seems like GFS may be on an island.

This isn't to far off at H5 from the epic Snowmegadon run the other day. has the pv piece in a good spot, this storm Goes on to pop down east, then has another shot for western NC afterwards.

prateptype_cat-imp.conus.png

Hope the NWS Blacksburg office warn the folks in Surry County..........LOL What are the BF, 0 for 4 on the season?

zr_acc-imp.us_ma.png
Yeah it's really amazing how much they grid forecast changes. Like Yesterday the had a chance of sleet and freezing rain. After midnight, Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Temps in the low 30s Tuesday night. Low 40s Wednesday. I get up this morning. It reads rain, but with the same temps. No mention of sleet and freezing rain? They are just backed and forth every package. And yes, there are at least 0 for 4 This winter. lol Current forecast.
TUESDAY NIGHT
Partly cloudy in the evening, then cloudy with a chance of rain after midnight. Cold with lows in the lower 30s. South winds around 5 mph, becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.

WEDNESDAY
Rain. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent. sigh...

Gefs going with the idea of cutting off ridge over Alaska and speeding up flow under it, this run might end up cold as a result View attachment 131044
And at 282 hours, the ensemble panels are loaded with potential winter storms. That's a crazy difference from 0z 1/23/2023 run.

Don't get much colder than this for the conus

View attachment 131046
Yep cut the ridge off and prevent the ability to really dump in the west. Cross polar flow dumps into Canada and we flood Noam with cold with a string of high pressures from siberis to the great lakes. Would be the most fortunate good break winter weather lovers have caught in a long time. I trust it about 10%

I seem to remember that by the 11pm broadcast, Eric Thomas talked like he wanted to up totals much higher, but GSP was holding firm on a WWA and didn’t upgrade to a WSW in their late evening update… even though a mesolow had formed near Spartanburg, and snow was breaking out a few hours earlier than forecast.
Simpler times when I used to get all my winter weather info from flipping back and forth between channels. I’m sure I watched Udelson and whoever was on WCNC that evening too (maybe Teri Bennett), but Thomas and Conklin stuck in my mind as being the only ones to mention the possibility. This event and the other early 2000s events are a big reason behind me becoming a snow weenie lol.

Simpler times when I used to get all my winter weather info from flipping back and forth between channels. I’m sure I watched Udelson and whoever was on WCNC that evening too (maybe Teri Bennett), but Thomas and Conklin stuck in my mind as being the only ones to mention the possibility. This event and the other early 2000s events are a big reason behind me becoming a snow weenie lol.
I just remember getting home from work about 10:45 that evening and it was already starting to snow very lightly, and I thought to myself that this was really early… it wasn’t supposed to start until 3am and so. When I went in and turned on the TV and looked at the radar, it was looked nothing like what I expected based on the forecast. The snow had developed well ahead of what was coming from the west and you could tell that it was gonna be a much bigger deal that what they had mentioned all day.

We had a guy by the name of ACWeather on WWBB who called it. He said he expected 2-3" but maybe a lot more.

I *think* that was Panovich's rookie year but I may be off by a year.

I'd assume there are a number of gefs members with absurd snow/ice totals this run probably centered around 2/1-3 west then 4-6 east. Maybe a few mixed in down or even south of I20. This is an impressive run only have to hold it for 8-12 more days
Not really that many big dogs over NC... just a few. They occur after 2/4.Screenshot 2023-01-23 132054.png

I'd assume there are a number of gefs members with absurd snow/ice totals this run probably centered around 2/1-3 west then 4-6 east. Maybe a few mixed in down or even south of I20. This is an impressive run only have to hold it for 8-12 more days
There must be a metwannabe special in there somewhere lol

edit: obviously better than nothing at this lead time, we will take it

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ma.png

Back