• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Looks like a bunch of noise beyond day 10.
Seems to be slowly increasing. Not as much noise on the GEFS but there are close to five really big deals which given the near February 2014 evolution like @Myfrotho704_ mentioned, could stand to reason.

20th anniversary of one of my GOATs

View attachment 131023
I remember watching Al Conklin and Eric Thomas the evening before this event. They were only calling for an inch or so in Charlotte, but I specifically remember them mentioning the Canadian model at that time showing an interesting scenario that could produce more. Woke up in the morning to a winter wonderland and school cancelled. Sledding in the 12 degree temps on the evening of the 23rd sure was fun too. Would love to see one like that again.

Webber is making good points. No need to dump on him. The persistent pattern has been warm and warmer. I will beleive the cold has come when it has come, and for more than 3 days.
This has always and will always be a warm pattern but in a pattern that is warm you can get transient periods of favorability for some winter weather. We are tracking those short windows. One was later this week when we will be delivered a good cold shot but tilts and lack of energy that threat died quickly. Even if we do get a favorable period (as models are predicting again at the start of February) I have no doubt we revert back to warm after that period so we’re not going to see long term cold in this pattern but we can still see shots at winter potential which is what most here are interested in and subsequently track

Saw on JB's twitter feed Mammoth MTN Ski Area has only had 509 inches of snow so far this year. Can you imagine. He had a retweet of someone up there filming 100mph gust, obviously slopes where closed. Also saw on his feed where the NYC fox station weatherman got mugged/attacked on the subway.
Fox News Channel weatherman actually

One of the top storms of my lifetime. I lived in extreme Eastern Carteret County tiny town of Atlantic where that 9 inches of snow is. Man me and my friends had a blast in that storm. Only 1 or 2 better storms in my lifetimet

I would love to see that at that location
That town is paradise. They still ferry you out to National seashore, drop you off and come back to get you?

Current Obs: 46 degrees, breezy/Chilly, But we got had Sun for a while. Ground conditions are full on swamp. Sink walking in the yard from all the rain this winter. Yesterday was another big soaker. and it looks like another big round is due in here Wednesday. El nino conditions have been persistent here for weeks.

Greensboro is making a serious run at the wettest January on record

Im still waiting to see where I called for it? Same applies to you....."If trends" and "could be" are far from a prediction...and yes, at 9:30 in the morning, the system looked extremely unimpressive at that time. Did it improve, absolutely. Was I wrong in saying I was unimpressed, absolutely not, because I wasn't....in the same way that I am unimpressed by your trolling attempts. Maybe others are impressed, maybe others aren't.....doesn't make either of them wrong. Try again later.
Hey so if you guys want to continue you can take it to the banter thread. Thanks.

This whole right vs wrong warm vs cold crap stops today. I'm tired of having to do this every winter now. Use the ignore button or simply just don't respond to people and move along.

I remember watching Al Conklin and Eric Thomas the evening before this event. They were only calling for an inch or so in Charlotte, but I specifically remember them mentioning the Canadian model at that time showing an interesting scenario that could produce more. Woke up in the morning to a winter wonderland and school cancelled. Sledding in the 12 degree temps on the evening of the 23rd sure was fun too. Would love to see one like that again.
I seem to remember that by the 11pm broadcast, Eric Thomas talked like he wanted to up totals much higher, but GSP was holding firm on a WWA and didn’t upgrade to a WSW in their late evening update… even though a mesolow had formed near Spartanburg, and snow was breaking out a few hours earlier than forecast.

Back