• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Laura (Post Landfall & Inland Effects)

Yesterday the models had this stuff coming in from now till 2ish here with 0.5" - 0.75" of rain

Crap passed 3 hours ago with a drought busting 3 hundredths of an inch.

Have to say the 0z CAMs 6z NAMs and even 12z HRRR are doing a pretty cruddy job vs reality. This initial band approaching us1 will likely stabilize things but it's coming in early. It'll be gone by noon and we may be back into sun. As the actual trough axis approaches later today we might see things line up

I was finishing up mowing the lawn and it started raining. Got finished but thought the rest of the day was going to be a washout so I wouldn't get to weed and blow off the clippings. Looks like I can get it done after all.

Also with the sun it seems like the wind is getting a bit gustier.
Yeah I had some gust around 20 when the sun was out earlier. According to radar estimates 40mph winds above me when those showers moved thru, bout 3k ft up so shouldn't take much to get a gust or 2

Here's the explanation WRAL weather gave for why we didn't have any good storms or rain around here.

What happened to the rain?

While some areas had rain, many others stayed dry. On top of that, we didn’t even see one lightning bolt let alone severe weather.

While I’m sure we are all VERY grateful for not seeing severe weather and tornadoes, many of you are wondering “what happened?”

The answer lies in the timing of the trough that was produced by the remnants of Laura. The trough brought light rain to many of our western counties earlier this morning and then cleared the area by the early afternoon. If that trough slowed down a bit and arrived in the afternoon instead of the morning our atmosphere would have been primed for explosive convection and severe storms.

Here's the explanation WRAL weather gave for why we didn't have any good storms or rain around here.

What happened to the rain?

While some areas had rain, many others stayed dry. On top of that, we didn’t even see one lightning bolt let alone severe weather.

While I’m sure we are all VERY grateful for not seeing severe weather and tornadoes, many of you are wondering “what happened?”

The answer lies in the timing of the trough that was produced by the remnants of Laura. The trough brought light rain to many of our western counties earlier this morning and then cleared the area by the early afternoon. If that trough slowed down a bit and arrived in the afternoon instead of the morning our atmosphere would have been primed for explosive convection and severe storms.
This is what we have been saying for several days.

SouthernWx - Days ahead of local news

Back