• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Isaias

We’re fine, thanks for asking. I just did a screenshot:

View attachment 45936

The cleanup + damage estimate is $3K, which is not that bad considering how it could have been. Actually, it is just under my HO's deductible meaning no claim to be filed obviously. Had it been ~$5K, I still doubt I would have filed as it wouldn't have been worth it due to premium increases as well as it being a 2nd claim on the record within 4 years in addition to the hassle involved.

My 93 year old father rode out the storm at his home in Ocean Isle Beach. He said the lull when the eye passed over lasted about 30 minutes.
Water from the canal in front of his house rose 15 inches under the house into the garage. The only cleanup issue he is dealing with is from his neighbor's landscaping mulch that floated over onto his yard and patio. He felt fortunate that the eye passed over Ocean Isle considering what happened to the beaches further east.

Is there any particular reason why the wind maps are always overdone ?
Let me tell you about the Euro snow maps!
Spent a lot of time on Ocean Isle Beach, really enjoy my time there!

I was on the OBX for Matthew I think. I will never intentionally be in the path of a hurricane on the coast again. I made the mistake of believing the models showing it turn away from Hatteras. I woke up to 100 mph winds and water everywhere except under the house I was in. I was stranded there for a week, luckily the fish were biting.

Must say, never been to any beach up here but Sandbridge was absolutely amazing! Power is out everywhere here almost so a lot of major intersection crossings were dicey ! Also the road going through the back bay refuge down to sandbridge was flooded ! I’d never tried pushing my car through that much water before but screw it ! I made it.

The surge was very impressive yesterday

Downtown Wilmington upstream in the Cape Fear River was all time record even higher than Hazel

8.48 feet: The above-normal flood stage of the Cape Fear River at Wilmington around 6 a.m. Tuesday. The previous comparable record was 8.28 feet, set during Hurricane Florence on Sept. 14, 2018, according to National Weather Service data

Springmaid Pier Myrtle Beach

0906 PM STORM SURGE SPRINGMAID PIER 33.66N 78.92W
08/03/2020 AMZ254 SC NOS

SPRINGMAID PIER (MROS1) GAUGE REACHED 10.18 FEET MLWW
DURING HIGH TIDE, THIRD HIGHEST TIDE ON RECORD

Back