• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Isaias

The tornado missed where my wife was but did a lot of damage in Courtland, VA. My wife said the house sounded like it was moaning and creaking when she heard the familiar train sound that lasted for five minutes. Her mom's house has a sunroom, and I guess the pressure made the door inside the house to the sunroom fling open when the tornado was going by.

I think this is a public post in Facebook, so you should be able to see the pics. Damage in Courtland, VA.

Honestly you could tell the tornado threat was gonna be legit by the ridiculously high 3CAPE, along with a still somewhat weaker cane meaning low levels would turn a bit more

Lost power at 3am got it back about a hr ago.....hear some chainsaws around the neighborhood and I smelled the pines and heard several trees come down, I think the forward speed kept this thing in check, 4-5 hrs of winds like we had at peak and there would be trees down all over and everyone without power, but it was maybe 2 hrs from the first gust to 40 to the last.....peak was maybe 55-65 mph, it got legit for about 30-45 mins, when the center was almost directly to my west 20 miles or so....and then it was over with winds tapering off to barely TS force again in gust....

From the number of cars in the area, might there have been just a tad bit of complacency? Doesn't look like anyone moved out of the area.
No doubt but hard to blame them when local government was complacent as well. A voluntary evac and a late strengthening storm was a recipe for not taking it serious.

No doubt but hard to blame them when local government was complacent as well. A voluntary evac and a late strengthening storm was a recipe for not taking it serious.
Yep....really worries me when/if a big one comes along....You know how it goes...."We did fine in the cat 1, cat 3 should be a piece of cake".

Honestly you could tell the tornado threat was gonna be legit by the ridiculously high 3CAPE, along with a still somewhat weaker cane meaning low levels would turn a bit more
This and the fact the winter time trough was producing tornadoes with unusually high shear for August. After the first one in Western Virginia 2 days prior I knew down East was in for it once it interacted with the hurricane.

Not a bad forecast, as it turned out. I haven't seen the wind maps, so I don't know how far west the big wind gusts got. And I think parts of Wake at least got close to 3-4" rain. But those cool wind maps are always way overdone. That's pretty much a lock every time. Like snow maps.
Is there any particular reason why the wind maps are always overdone ?

Took a few photos from the oceanfront at OKI.

ai7Yxeo.jpg

D8SwqdS.jpg

PHyVtTY.jpg
PMlGGe6.jpg
c4Rx6Ea.jpg

I really don't know, other than the fact that that the algorithm is bad. I don't know how they calculate it, but they are generally always way overdone...usually by half around here.

I don’t know how the model output for wind really works, but I wonder if it has to with how real landmasses have a lot of natural impediments to wind - trees, hills, etc.? I don’t know if that’s enough to make a difference, though. Are the wind field maps thus more accurate out in the ocean?

Back