• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Isaias

Yeap need a Fran/Hazel type track to get much this far inland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back here we need a Hugo track. But this is August 3rd and storms dont pack the punch like they due post August 15th.

Webb,
What do you think about the storm surge at Charleston worst case scenario? Do you think it will be anywhere near Irma, which was only a TS when it was at its closest to CHS inland in N FL and yet CHS had at 4.7 feet its highest storm surge since Hugo and even higher than Matthew!
Thanks.

Edit to @Stormsfury since he's from the area and is quite knowledgeable.

My gut says it can't be nearly as high as Irma and yet I never thought Irma's surge was going to exceed Matthew, especially with it only a TS and hundreds of miles away at closest approach. So, I'm a bit gunshy.

https://www.weather.gov/chs/TropicalStormIrma-Sep2017

Storm surge warnings here 2-4 feet would pile some water up but it's the expected rainfall that could coincide with high tide which is already running higher than normal which would create an exceptional flooding event in the downtown Charleston region.
Storm surge itself won't be nowhere near as high as Irma was... Isaias never got strong enough to generate the swells Irma or even Matthew for that matter.

989 center last pass.....but since they have had issues might be to low, but it looks better and storms are working slowly around the NW corner so maybe its right

Storm surge warnings here 2-4 feet would pile some water up but it's the expected rainfall that could coincide with high tide which is already running higher than normal which would create an exceptional flooding event in the downtown Charleston region.
Storm surge itself won't be nowhere near as high as Irma was... Isaias never got strong enough to generate the swells Irma or even Matthew for that matter.

Thanks. I just finished some new research and would like to share it with you, @Webberweather53, and others. I just learned something new. In case y'all don't know about it :

- The highest CHS Irma storm tide was 9.92 feet, which was the 3rd highest on record since 1899, with only Hugo at 12.52 feet and the 8/11/1940 hurricane at 10.23 feet higher. Matthew's peak storm tide was 9.29 feet.

- Keep in mind that the Irma 9.92 feet was, of course, not the actual storm surge. Rather it was the normal astronomical tide plus storm surge. Without any storm surge, that tide would have peaked a little under 6 feet.

- I just discovered that Matthew's peak storm surge, itself, was actually higher than Irma's at CHS:

https://www.weather.gov/chs/HurricaneMatthew-Oct2016

So, Matthew's peak storm surge was 6.2 feet while Irma's peak storm surge was a good bit lower at 4.87 feet. But Matthew's peak storm surge didn't occur as close to high tide as Irma's peak. So, that's why Irma's storm tide was over a half foot higher than Matthew's at CHS.

What makes you so sure of that?
@Ollie Williams explained it much better than I would ever be able to but mainly the synoptic setup along with the storm interacting with the trough. I personally think that heavy rains/slightly breezy conditions will reach as far as GSO through Concord and Union/Anson counties that depends of how far inland the center ends up being though.

Back