• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Isaias

12Z CMC ens, which is a generally inferior ensemble to the GEFS, still looks somewhat ominous with 3 (15%) FL hits, 1 (5%) Gulf hit, and 1 (5%) well inland NC hit. But even so, ~75% are either coastal scrapers or mainly offshore recurvers. So, still not too bad.

The best hope is that this either develops strongly early and then recurves well offshore or struggles and stays south through and near the Caribbean and never gets strong or even dissipates. Nothing too much to worry about at least for the time being.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Sun Jul 26 2020

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical Storm Hanna, located inland over northeast Mexico.

1. A broad area of low pressure located over the central tropical Atlantic continues to produce a wide area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms as it moves westward around 20 mph. Environmental conditions are forecast to be conducive for development and a tropical depression or tropical storm is likely to form within the
next two or three days as the system nears the Lesser Antilles. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should monitor the progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.

FB_IMG_1595785646350.jpg

12z Euro continues the trend of speeding up our storm. Moving into the Lesser Antilles by Wednesday afternoon. Continues to be south of other guidance and takes it below the islands

Last edited:
Brad P. had an excellent VLOG on Facebook. If you haven't taken the time to watch it, I would highly recommend it. Long story short, it's wayyyy too early to look at guidance or try and pinpoint if this thing makes landfall in the U.S. or not. And the lack of commercial airline traffic is causing issues as well for modeling.

Brad P. had an excellent VLOG on Facebook. If you haven't taken the time to watch it, I would highly recommend it. Long story short, it's wayyyy too early to look at guidance or try and pinpoint if this thing makes landfall in the U.S. or not. And the lack of commercial airline traffic is causing issues as well for modeling.
While that is true, the path of the storm over the next 96 hours has massive implications for its overall path. A path south of or over the islands dramatically decreases the chances of a land falling hurricane on the SE coast

One bad thing to note with recurves...they tend to trend west over time esp for systems that far out. Could easily hit Florida or anywhere.

Great trends in the models the last 24 hours. You can't ask for anything much better for now. Let's hope these better trends hold. No reason to worry currently in the SE US about this. Many of us, including myself, have much more worrisome things to deal with right now.

Great trends in the models the last 24 hours. You can't ask for anything much better for now. Let's hope these better trends hold. No reason to worry currently in the SE US about this. Many of us, including myself, have much more worrisome things to deal with right now.
I agree! From the morning runs I would say there was a clear trend for a weaker system. GFS and CMC both backed off the juiced up systems. Which imo was a step towards the Euro. I am very curious to see how this develops over the next 3 days. If it struggles to get stacked quickly it could very well go south of the islands and encounter some hostile conditions.

12Z EPS: Out of 51 members, only 5 (10%) hit the US as a full fledged TC:

1. TS SW/W FL
2. TS/H up FL/GA coasts
3. H GA/SC
4. H SC
5. H Wilmington, NC

Only 4 of these 5 (8% of the 51) really ever amount to anything bad.

Only 3 recurve as a TC offshore the E US (one of these 3 is very weak/TD).
Many others either never become a TC or become a weak one and then fall apart near the Greater Antilles and/or just remain a very weak entity down there.

So, the 12Z EPS suggests quite high odds in the favor of the SE US not being hit hard by 92L as of this time.

Back