• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

You guys did great then!!
If I'm being honest I got lucky. I was only around .75 for much of the day yesterday but caught the edge of the core late in the afternoon and evening and piled it up on a hurry.

We as a local area probably got lucky that Ian had some forward speed and was being pulled apart some last night. Had it been slower or didn't have the dry air wrapping in most of these totals would have been 2-3x higher

If I'm being honest I got lucky. I was only around .75 for much of the day yesterday but caught the edge of the core late in the afternoon and evening and piled it up on a hurry
That's when my rain began as well. Funny I was under yellows and some reds, but no precip falling for a decent portion of the time. Once the reds from Wake, Lee, and Harnett came NE, I finally got some wind driven rain.

Reactions: SD
No problem. I was going to post the radar estimates but it's way off.
Couple examples
Radar estimate here 2.5 I recorded 2.6 but lost 3 hours of data due to the power being out so its more likely 3.5.
Parents got 4.5 but the radar estimates 1.98
I recorded 3.12 total. But the little Tempest man came to work early this morning. Rain error in my favor, collect .31 more inches! Up to 3.43 and he's still busy. Dude's a machine. Always on time, doesn't take days off, and never calls in sick.

Going to be interesting to see how drizzly/showery we can get tomorrow evening into Monday as the remnant of Ian come back south and shift offshore and the next upper end digs in. A deep N to NE flow with showers Monday could lock some areas along and west of US1 into the low 50s
Yeah… even tomorrow afternoon looks like it might start getting a little bit drizzly here. Definitely overcast cool. I’m going to the Panthers game and it’s a 4:05 start… looking like I might actually need the hoodie tomorrow and I can’t remember the last time I wore one to a game this early in the season

I've never experienced a landfalling hurricane along the SE ATL Coast with temps in the mid 60s for the duration of sensible impacts, and doubt I ever will again. It was 55 when I got to RDU yesterday morning around 8am to drop the in-laws off. You can see the warm front around 8pm, about the time of those streamers feeding a robust baroclinic enhanced axis over central NC.

7593BB58-A6B2-481B-B0BB-D4907E2F20B0.jpeg

GSPDailyPrecip.png

Some of these totals East of I26 look low to me (I think the Spartanbug airport got more than 3 inches) but you can certainly see the big cutoff West. Only .46 for me but I'm good with that. Now if this had been a snowstorm I would be in mourning!
It is low I had 2.95 just north of Boiling Springs

I'm here to report that I survived Ian at a Disney Springs hotel thanks to my baseball helmet and ski goggles that I wore throughout the duration of the storm. Without those, I would have surely perished. Safety first people.

Weather channel said I had an inch here in Chatham. I think it was closer to1.25 or 1.5.
NWS has much higher totals for Chatham County.
Source: https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202210011518-KRAH-NOUS42-PNSRAH

...CHATHAM COUNTY...
APEX 7.8 NW 3.88 IN 0830 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
PITTSBORO 5.4 WSW 3.66 IN 0700 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
CARY 7.5 WNW 3.60 IN 0845 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
GOLDSTON 3.8 N 3.53 IN 0700 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
PITTSBORO 6.7 NE 3.48 IN 0800 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
CARY 7.8 WNW 3.41 IN 0818 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
PITTSBORO 3.3 NNW 3.33 IN 0825 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
CHAPEL HILL 6.8 S 3.26 IN 0729 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
PITTSBORO 5.4 NNW 3.24 IN 0800 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
SILER CITY 7.2 NE 3.20 IN 0900 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
SANFORD 10.0 N 3.10 IN 0730 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
PITTSBORO 7.3 NE 3.09 IN 0700 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
APEX 9.2 WNW 2.93 IN 0930 AM 10/01 COCORAHS
2.4 N MONCURE 2.31 IN 1000 AM 10/01 COOP

2.66 Total for me. Winds were the fastest around 9pm. Pressure got down to 998, and i got a few gusts in the low 50s. GSO recorded a max gust of 51, so that seems about right. Lost a big branch out of a tree in the back. It's easily a foot in diameter, maybe a smidge more. It was up high, so when it came down it pulled a few more with it.

And grass seed held and really sprouted with rain on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Gonna be the deadliest hurricane in the CONUS since Katrina sadly. Also deadliest hurricane in Florida since 1935!

I expect a lot of things to be written in the postseason about this because the failures were all around starting with the models consistently being too far west

Back