• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

Does it bend back west?
sfcwind_mslp.us_ma.png

Florida is not that wide and flat. I think the intensity for it when it crosses FL and gets back in the Atlantic all depends on how fast it moves across FL. The longer it takes, the more it will weaken. If it moves fast and gets back out into the Atlantic, it could keep a lot of it's intensity and strengthen again before a second landfall.
Florida is very much flat

also going to put my stake in the ground and say a reemergence in the atlantic won't change much, i generally think that after the florida landfall ian's angular momentum will be so out of whack that the ceiling will be a weak (but stout) cat 1. nothing to snuff at for sure but i just don't think any atlantic reemergence will be a big deal in the grand scheme

Lol I said a few days ago I thought the hurricane bombing out would be the big issue and that some of the outlier models on how strong it was are worth a watch ?. Something about these hurricanes the last 5 years ?

def think this thing might be breathing the same rarified air as harvey, michael, other notable examples on approach
I said before that Hurricanes are no longer behave as they have in the past with weakening on approach to land. These extremely warm waters that we have now compared to the past is just like jet fuel for these storms. Even where you get dry air and shear, storms either aren't weakening considerably or actually gain some strength if it's over very warm waters. Right now there's shear but its coming across the NE and with this thing moving NE it's really not having any affect and is venting the storm. At the end of the day you can have all these obstacles in the path of these storms, but if it's over 85 degree + water, it's almost obsolete at this point. It's almost like God dropped steroids in the ocean waters of the Gulf and Caribbean.

Sarasota could be in the bullseye. Looking at VRBO there are a ton of little cottages and bungalows on Siesta Key & Longoat. That area hasn't had anything like this in at least 50 years and I can't imagine what the damage would be. Hopefully everyone is evacuating.

kind of annoying to not have pressure readings, but last past just showed a pretty marked increase in temperature in the eye:

1664298934135.png

usually a indicator of significant strengthening, that next sonde will probably be 954-956ish

Back