• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

As much as I blast the ICON, it’s hard to ignore it with the UK being so similar and other models moving in that direction. As for getting stronger before a possible SC landfall, I think it will all depend on how long the center is over water and if it gets any influence with the Gulf Stream.
This is beginning to be a cause for concern if it does get out there and get to cat 2-3 again for major impacts inland in NC and SC assuming the NW track on the icon verifies. Wind would be a much bigger problem for many of us along with a ton of rain.

IF ian emerges over the Atlantic, I can't see anything past a weak cat 1... I'm more impressed at how the icon, a model a lot of us crapped on for being crazy has held so steady... Considering it's a German model without a major focus on tropical weather

This is beginning to be a cause for concern if it does get out there and get to cat 2-3 again for major impacts inland in NC and SC assuming the NW track on the icon verifies. Wind would be a much bigger problem for many of us along with a ton of rain.
If you were evacuating the low country, you'd literally have to start today to not have complete gridlock. It's not even so much the winds, it's the water it's going to push in the harbor from that direction.

has the icon ever scored a coup? has there ever been a situation where it blew every other model out of the water. there's probably a reason there's no "the icon nailed XXXXXXX" memes

has the icon ever scored a coup? has there ever been a situation where it blew every other model out of the water. there's probably a reason there's no "the icon nailed XXXXXXX" memes
Honestly, if that track verifies, I wouldn't call it an ICON coup lol. Euro had this early on actually, as you know, and Uk has been steady with it too. Probably more a blind squirrel thing

It did with a winter storm. It pulls a rabbit every blue moon. Beleive it was Lookout on another wx board who introduced some of us to this model.

Exactly. At the end of the day the biggest thing that drives these things is the fuel and ocean water temps. The gulf stream and waters off the SC and Georgia coast are in the mid 80's which is plenty to help get it's act together again. A potential 2nd landfall as a category 1 hurricane isn't out of the question in my book if it makes it off the coast.
Absolutely… also there is a history of storm being able to reintensify in that area.

12z GFS & 12z CMC shifts east closer to Atlantic before west turn. This is worrisome for folks here in Lowcountry of SC who is thinking this will be a weak storm approaching.

GFS looks much further NW in the GA, SC, NC areas.
And it just sits over GA for a long time. IF, and it's a big if of course, this verifies, means a ton of rain over western NC and SC unless coastal convection cuts the moisture off. May be big problems from Oconee county SC up to Caldwell county NC with flooding.

12z GFS & 12z CMC shifts east closer to Atlantic before west turn. This is worrisome for folks here in Lowcountry of SC who is thinking this will be a weak storm approaching.
Do we not think that the time spent inland will dramatically weaken the storm, and do we not also think the limited time in the atlantic won't be enough to intensify it? I have no clue.

Ian is starting to regain strength. 961 mb on the dropsonde.
recon_AF302-2109A-IAN.png

Back