• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

Wind field spreading out considerably now, radar velocities 3k feet above my head are 60+ mph. Now don't expect any of that to mix down but for folks further SW of here should still see some 50 gust easily

This is not headed for Mrytle Beach. If I am looking at the radar right, it's coming in near the Charleston, Georgetown county line headed just south of NW.

Radar looks WNW or almost due west and looks to be coming in at McClellanville as did Hugo. Those outer bands are finally clearing past Spartanburg county so there's definitely a much more west movement to it.

Seems like current general consensus is some possible stiff winds for rdu area… do we have a time frame at this point?

Recon not really clearing this up for us either lol, probably due to the hybrid TC to ET transition going on. Dropsonde in the "eye" with 52kt NNW winds and pressure of 981. So that isn't the actual eye and apparently pressure still dropping

recon_AF304-3109A-IAN_dropsonde9_20220930-1553.png

Would that mean more wind or less wind for nc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if it pulls straight west, gets closer to clt, higher winds and more rain for us. If not and it's continues north and east, more for Raleigh. Relatively speaking imo.

I've come to accept that Raleigh wins this one. I don't appreciate the trolling from Ian. Not cool storm.

Did any model have it going due west like this?
Dude I can't recall, looked at so much stuff over the last few days but seems they did a little but further south before they started correcting north. But I don't think they showed it after those corrections up the coast

ahhh yes 970s as we approach landfall .. western jog probably the result of the deep convection pulling it towards Charleston. Eventually should continue more north. View attachment 122654
Something else that could be aiding this turn is that stout high to the north and the flow around it. I’ve figured for a couple days, that would at least help it bend back to the west some

Well the NHC track doesn't take Ian through Myrtle Beach anyway. If they keep shifting it East they will eventually, though.

NHC_ForescastTracks_NC_2022-09-30_1500Z_HV.png

Back