• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

There's been a lot of talk saying welp people should of left, and although I agree that you should pay attention and leave when told, there was just not much time from Ft. Myers south. I think the evac order was sent out Tuesday afternoon. These are mainly older people, it's already raining and windy, hotels are booked by then. The storm was on top of them quickly here after cuba.
It's also alot of Amish people there that don't have cars.

... I really really hope this is an overdone early report because yikes

The sheriff of Lee County, Florida, told "Good Morning America" on Thursday morning that deaths from the storm in the area were in the hundreds.

"We have fatalities in the hundreds," Sheriff Carmine Marceno said.

There's been a lot of talk saying welp people should of left, and although I agree that you should pay attention and leave when told, there was just not much time from Ft. Myers south. I think the evac order was sent out Tuesday afternoon. These are mainly older people, it's already raining and windy, hotels are booked by then. The storm was on top of them quickly here after cuba.
That's why you evacuate even when you aren't ordered to if you are anywhere near the storms path.

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Ian Advisory Number 28
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092022
1100 AM EDT Thu Sep 29 2022

...HURRICANE WARNING ISSUED FOR THE ENTIRE COAST OF SOUTH CAROLINA
WITH IAN...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.7N 80.4W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM NNE OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA
ABOUT 285 MI...460 KM S OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...110 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 30 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB...29.15 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Storm Surge Warning has been issued from South Santee River to
Little River Inlet, SC, and for the Neuse River.

A Hurricane Warning has been issued for the entire coast of South
Carolina from the Savannah River to Little River Inlet.

The Tropical Storm Warning has been extended northward to Duck,
North Carolina, including Pamlico Sound.

093959_key_messages_sm.png

At icon with huge rains as the biggest returns are centered on the the NW side of the storm with generally the same track as other guidance

Back