• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

I imagined 140 max as dry air begins to penetrate the core and shear becomes a problem, but as per Twitter (@vortexjeff) Ian’s positioning near the trough was near perfect for continued rapid intensification
It'll continue to strengthen until LF. Dry air isn't embedding past that eyewall and this thing is imbedded into the trough and moving parallel with the shear. Right now shear is helping to enhance the strengthening. That's one reason why the western side of the eyewall is so stout and even more of an issue than the usual NE eyewall.

Only thing about upwelling is… I think that part of the Gulf is relatively shallow? I wonder if it’s even deep enough to pull up enough colder water to make a difference.
Hurricanes usually disrupt anywhere from 300-1000 feet below the surface so I would say upwelling likely isn't going to be an issue in these waters.

the issue with hanging on to upwelling as a limiting factor is that the gulf seems to always been made of pure pasta water, i think it's worth considering but i don't think is backs the same limiting punch as the shelf waters off the east coast

recon_AF301-2609A-IAN_dropsonde17_20220928-1231.png

We all know how Euro wind maps verify. He should know better. On the shore, maybe, but inland?
Yeah those are obviously overdone, but there will be a fairly tight pressure gradient between Ian and the high in the Northeast that will cause some fairly high gusts in the 40s at times, but certainly not in the 60mph+ range like the Euro was showing

With the winds coming from the NE through Tampa Bay, I'm curious if we will see the bay start dropping? I tried checking buoy info on the NOAA site, but could not find any charts showing that info. I probably just don't know where to look to be honest. I know nothing about it, just curious as I've seen in the past places like Mobile Bay drain out ahead of a hurricane.

With the winds coming from the NE through Tampa Bay, I'm curious if we will see the bay start dropping? I tried checking buoy info on the NOAA site, but could not find any charts showing that info. I probably just don't know where to look to be honest. I know nothing about it, just curious as I've seen in the past places like Mobile Bay drain out ahead of a hurricane.
It was posted a few pages back, twitter link with video of the water being pulled out.

the issue with hanging on to upwelling as a limiting factor is that the gulf seems to always been made of pure pasta water, i think it's worth considering but i don't think is backs the same limiting punch as the shelf waters off the east coast
That's a good observation. The deeper waters off the East Coast probably have a lot to do with that.

SUMMARY OF 1000 AM EDT...1400 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.2N 82.7W
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM W OF NAPLES FLORIDA
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM SW OF PUNTA GORDA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...155 MPH...250 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...937 MB...27.67 INCHES

Still at 155.

Back