• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

Why hasn't the eye cleaned up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably shear and such but in terms of internal mechanics this thing doesn’t give a ---- about shear. It’s too big at this point to have that effect it. It would affect satellite presentation though .. what’s under the hood is what matters.

63f448394c73724e2402e9f423682a34.jpg

I have family in Sarasota that refused to evacuate. Prayers for everyone affected .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm....wonder if this verifies:

Posted just now
Isaiah_Wx CODE RED
@IsaiahHartzell2
RECON has support for a 140 kt storm, 160 MPH, Cat. 5. The next plane is going in for another pass

and: 933.1 mb
Yep. It looks like Ian has nudged right up to CAT 5. I know there's an argument pressure is irrelevant, but I've always been of the mind that a CAT 5 needs to have a pressure at least in the 920s. Ian looks to make it shortly.

So it looks like he's a good measure stronger than advertised on the modelling valid at 12z today. Larger, stronger hurricanes are generally harder to turn, right? I wonder if this affects the next 48 hours.

So it looks like he's a good measure stronger than advertised on the modelling valid at 12z today. Larger, stronger hurricanes are generally harder to turn, right? I wonder if this affects the next 48 hours.

Ian has been stubborn to even move much plus overnight he's definitely bent left. Almost due north.

Clearly we have a Cat 5 at this point. That eyewall is going to be hell on Earth this afternoon. Recon had serious issues passing this last time and turned around after going through one time.

I wonder why when these monster canes make it all the way up to 155 there seems to be a hesitancy to bump it the 2 mph to a cat 5? Michael was like that, made landfall at the time at 155 and then reclassified to a 5. I know the numbers have to support it, but it seems odd that they classify it that close to a 5.
I often wonder about that too. There isn't much difference as far as the damage that a strong Cat 4 with winds of 150 MPH causes compared to a minimal Cat 5. Both are going to be devastating and there are several examples of what were considered strong Cat 4 storms that were later reclassified to a Cat 5 after analysis of the effects of a storm on an area. I think a storm with winds of 150 MPH or above should receive a Cat 5 designation.

Back