• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Helene

12Z HWRF. Cat 4/5 and a tick west at landfall. :eek:
View attachment 151800
While this is still a possibility it initialized about 11mb weaker than the storms current pressure. Some times these models miss the little things like dry air intrusion. I'm not downplaying this at all but just throwing it out there as a hopeful sign

While this is still a possibility it initialized about 11mb weaker than the storms current pressure. Some times these models miss the little things like dry air intrusion. I'm not downplaying this at all but just throwing it out there as a hopeful sign
It certainly may be overdone. After all, a CAT 5 requires a near-perfect environment to achieve CAT 5 status.

What I find particularly concerning not just with the HWRF I posted, but all of the tropical models is the strengthening forecast right up until landfall. The prospect of dry air intrusion from the continent as is so common with GOM landfills seems unlikely per modeling.

It certainly may be overdone. After all, a CAT 5 requires a near-perfect environment to achieve CAT 5 status.

What I find particularly concerning not just with the HWRF I posted, but all of the tropical models is the strengthening forecast right up until landfall. The prospect of dry air intrusion from the continent as is so common with GOM landfills seems unlikely per modeling.
I was referencing the current dry air intrusion hopefully slowing intensification in the short term not the prospect of any as it approaches LF. Also I'll agree, we've seen to many of these strengthening right up to LF in recent years too

12Z Euro: even stronger with 954 landfall! tracks to just E of Macon and then to Athens
It's bonkers that the NHC track seems to be discounting all of the global models further eastward movement. Not even a mention in any of the discussions.

If the NHC nails this track as usual, I'll never doubt them again.

this may sound dumb since we just had dry air intrude

but this storm will be moving so quickly and will be coming in at such an angle that continental dry air will not matter. by the time it gets properly ingested it will be over land. i really dont think this will be an issue and i believe it will be intensifying up to landfall

It's bonkers that the NHC track seems to be discounting all of the global models further eastward movement. Not even a mention in any of the discussions.

If the NHC nails this track as usual, I'll never doubt them again.
I’d have imagine they tick east a bit at 5pm but hey who knows. You’re right though they’ve been locked in on the same areas so far

No landfall or real degradation from the Yucatan and Cuba is pretty concerning here. There isn't a lot over the next 24 hours or so to really slow down gradual development at minimum. You can make a case that in that last 6 hours before LF the environment may get hostile enough to see weakening but by that point some level of ET may be starting so it could all be a net 0. Once inland as it starts to really interact with that upper low and undergo full ET I think the initial spin down is pretty rapid but it's going to hit a level when the spin down becomes less rapid not sure where that is on the wind side but I'd suspect high enough to make a mess across a good part of GA and parts of SC/NC/TN

Back