• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Helene

1727275005002.png
1727275029249.png
1727275072189.png
WPC and the National Blend for the Upstate, NE Georgia, and Western NC. Along and west of US221 and north to Highway 11 looks good for 6-10". Peak gusts are around 40mph on average with the blend. Power Outages seems very very likely.

been looking at some mexican/cuban radars (which are terrible) and some fun observations:

it does look like helene took a quick crack at a pinhole last night before giving up (pinhole eyes, from a physics standpoint, are pretty unstable and hard to maintain). hard to see but it's the darker green ring (i told you these radars are terrible)
1727275156040.png
since then its core has been doing a bit of soul searching, pretty typical for a convection bomb like this. It looks like a new eyewall is getting its act together, but tough to tell from this radar. i think the rain on the radar is literally blocking some of the waves from getting out which is blocking the reflectivity
1727275464300.png

there's a radar in cuba that shows this too
1727275544608.png
so well on it's way to figuring itself out, once this eyewall contracts and closes it'll be RI time

The wind gusts look much more realistic. I see the Atlanta metro isn't above 50 either
I definitely would question the intensity but we are dealing with a unique situation and I'd rather take the precedence of Irma and how that interacted with the upper level features than with previous storms that were isolated inland racers. The pressure being so low too will enhance the winds.

HELENE BECOMES A HURRICANE... ...EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE, DAMAGING WINDS, AND FLOODING RAINS TO A LARGE PORTION OF FLORIDA AND THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES...

10:00 AM CDT Wed Sep 25
Moving: NNW at 10 mph
Min pressure: 979 mb
Max sustained: 80 mph

Back