• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

Based on what? Lol
It's already gaining latitude and is forecast to gain more latitude than it looked just a day ago. The farther north it goes, the higher chance it has to be influenced by any trough present near the east coast. The WAR is forecast to build in and steer the system to the WNW/NW. As the west side of it erodes, the system will slow. My guess is that toughing will erode the ridge and influence the system more than currently modeled. I think it stalls off the coast and then moves OTS. It's a guess. We'll see.

It's already gaining latitude and is forecast to gain more latitude than it looked just a day ago. The farther north it goes, the higher chance it has to be influenced by any trough present near the east coast. The WAR is forecast to build in and steer the system to the WNW/NW. As the west side of it erodes, the system will slow. My guess is that toughing will erode the ridge and influence the system more than currently modeled. I think it stalls off the coast and then moves OTS. It's a guess. We'll see.
100% Agree some models tend to downplay trough until we get closer.

I have mostly stayed out of this thread because I don't really have anything new to add. But my gut tells me this will miss the US. Also, I don't trust the Icon with tropical systems.
Dorian is right on the eastern most edge of the cone and may move just outside of it, continues to bust hard in the short term....
"It's already gaining latitude..."

What you describe we have seen so many, many times in the past. I hope it's true this time as well.

CMC took a jump to the ICON. System further west is little better and sends the storm into the GOM.

Tropical Tidbits isn’t gonna stand the traffic for the euro. Gonna crash soon.

Btw in the image I shared, note that is on the eastern most edge of the cone, to @Rain Cold point it continues to gain latitude. This delays it's arrival to the US and in turn could end up being a life saver, time will tell

To add to this here are models from 18z yesterday. Short term they were WAY off. 1EDE2FB7-E153-4C9B-B3B2-875AD40C42ED.jpeg

Every single model was too far west...

I so hope you are right and the NHC adjusts its thinking accordingly.

One thing is for certain, if you look at the large majority of past stprms on the NHC run archive (in Wiki>Tropical>Models) seldom do they stay "on course" 4 days out ...

Scotty Powell is way out of touch. Anyone read his latest update on FB? Guess he needs time to copy the NHC forecast cause he’s totally lost with what he just said!

My Thinking from earlier this morning is becoming more confident we see a Floyd track. Floyd got within 50 miles of NE Florida, stalled crawled all the way up coast.

If any of you remember NHC and everyone was convinced on a NE Florida landfall, had mass evacuations and turned out to be for naught.

My Thinking from earlier this morning is becoming more confident we see a Floyd track. Floyd got within 50 miles of NE Florida, stalled crawled all the way up coast.
I have to say no. Ridge is buffing, and this extreme of the cone is going to be eliminated within days is how I feel. I still feel a Frances-like track but a bit north is the way it'll play out.

At this rate it would be very low confidence to say its following any particular storm of the past with how things are evolving every day. Could go out to sea, could be a slim margin the system in pinwheeled into the Gulf, could strike Florida, could brush the east coast, could hit Myrtle, probably the OBX but usually always safe to say Georgia will be safe lol.

I have to say no. Ridge is buffing, and this extreme of the cone is going to be eliminated within days is how I feel. I still feel a Frances-like track but a bit north is the way it'll play out.
I'm with you.....and....we get to go back anf forth for days....

Back