• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
My stance on this as I’ve stated is that AGW is real and has caused ~3F of GW since the late 1800s. But I also believe that the alarmists are going way too far with doomsday predictions based on non trustworthy climate models, are doing a lot of this due to politics, and are claiming that individual wx events are due to AGW with no proof. Dr. Christy, Judith Curry, and Dr. Spencer all have similar views.

The problem with the solar argument is that the sun has overall been the quietest in 200 years since 2007. We’re now 14 years later and have yet to see any clearcut global cool down. I was a big believer in the possibility that the sun was the major reason for GW due to it being the strongest in several hundred years during the 2nd half of last century. And I had assumed a 5 to perhaps 10 year lag period for cooling to occur once the sun got much quieter. I even posted about this repeatedly at AmericanWx and was called a "denier" many times because of that. However, since it has yet to cool in 14 years and has instead continued to warm overall, I’ve largely abandoned the possibility that the sun is the major GW factor.

Last edited:

Chazwin

Reaction score
Whatever the reason, the Arctic is melting out pretty slowly this year compared with the average and recent years.

View attachment 87361
View attachment 87362
I wonder if there is any relation to what has been a thus far very cool summer for our cold air source regions… Alaska and northern Canada? This is something that I’ve been following closely to see how quickly those regions begin building up cold this year and I’m finding that many of those spots are having their coolest summer since 2013.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I wonder if there is any relation to what has been a thus far very cool summer for our cold air source regions… Alaska and northern Canada? This is something that I’ve been following closely to see how quickly those regions begin building up cold this year and I’m finding that many of those spots are having their coolest summer since 2013.
How far did the western ridge extend into Canada? Yellowknife?

VegasEagle

Reaction score
My stance on this as I’ve stated isat AGW is real and has caused ~3F of GW since the late 1800s. But I also believe that the alarmists are going way too far with doomsday predictions based on non trustworthy climate models, are doing a lot of this due to politics, and are claiming that individual wx events are due to AGW with no proof. Dr. Christy, Judith Curry, and Dr. Spencer all have similar views.

The problem with the solar argument is that the sun has overall been the quietest in 200 years since 2007. We’re now 14 years later and have yet to see any clearcut global cool down. I was a big believer in the possibility that the sun was the major reason for GW due to it being the strongest in several hundred years during the 2nd half of last century. And I had assumed a 5 to perhaps 10 year lag period for cooling to occur once the sun got much quieter. I even posted about this repeatedly at AmericanWx and was called a "denier" many times because of that. However, since it has yet to cool in 14 years and has instead continued to warm overall, I’ve largely abandoned the possibility that the sun is the major GW factor.
How did the ice ages events happen?

MichaelJ

Reaction score
This is the accumulated ice gain/loss in Greenland from Sept. 1st 2020 through yesterday. Looks like a pretty good year for gains to my "untrained" eye!

BHS1975

Supporter
Reaction score
This tells a different tale not that the one you posted says much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelJ

Reaction score
This tells a different tale not that the one you posted says much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well my source is the Greenland Polar Portal, what is yours? Also can you honestly say the amount of blue on this map does not exceed the amount of red?

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Wow look at the sea ice go. Not only has melt just about stopped, but if current trends hold we could be approaching early 2000s ice extent levels. The melting seems to be halting a few weeks early and models are forecasting BN temps up there next few weeks.
View attachment 88722
View attachment 88723
Yeah that is surprising but we will likely continue to have melting until around Sept 10th

snowlover91

Reaction score
Yeah that is surprising but we will likely continue to have melting until around Sept 10th
Possibly, but we’ve already had an early extent gain today and yesterday’s numbers only saw 2k in extent loss which is tiny. If the below normal temperatures verify as modeled, the losses may be just about done or very very minimal. Certainly a big change compared with last year.

Also of note we are seeing some big increases in volume, back to 2010 levels and a big increase over last year. This is IMO even more important for the health of the sea ice than extent.

1629416416458.gif

Avalanche

Reaction score
Summit Camp Greenland saw some very warm temps this summer. Near freezing levels at times. Not saying it means anything, but it seemed rather unusual for that locality.